ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CHS: New Formatting Dialog

(1/14) > >>

mouser:
I have concluded that it would be best to reorganize the modify/formatting dialog, to move from an all-on-one-page view, to a tabbed view.

Old dialog:

New Dialog:

The all-on-one-page method was nice in that you could quickly see and edit all of your options.  The new method may slow you down a bit.  But it also has real advantages in terms of extensibility and logical organization.  Also gives more room to do things like add multiple search+replace fields, and more explanatory text, etc.

Thoughts?

superticker:
I think you need something in the middle. The new design has too many tabs, but the old design doesn't have enough. Maybe create just three tabs where related items are grouped together.

This also brings up another issue. If the changes you want to make require operations on two different tabs, does that now mean you have define (and execute) two separate PreFormat definitions to get all these changes?

mouser:
Yeah i can combine some of the sparse tabs.

A saved preset saves/applies ALL formatting on all tabs.

superticker:
A saved preset saves/applies ALL formatting on all tabs.
-mouser (October 09, 2011, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have an operational question. How can you make creating/using presets intuitive if saving a preset means saving across multiple tabs? In my mind, this design is counter intuitive. (I wonder if Steve Jobs would approve?)

Maybe you could group all the formatting operations that are commonly done together on a single tab. If that's done, then this issue is moot. This also means minimizing the number of tabs in the UI design.

cranioscopical:
mouser,

I can see your reasoning but I have to agree that the new layout that you showed above seems counter-intuitive. On the existing panel, I can use your cleverness to create some useful items in a trice (only a little slower than a bice but certainly faster than a vice). By the time I stumbled through the new layout I'd have forgotten what I was trying to do. I have found it useful to see all of the options in one place. Keeping together as many items as possible would be an advantage, as seen from my purely selfish perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version