ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

App vendors discover a new way to abuse Windows

<< < (2/9) > >>

Eóin:
The installer should offer the option to install "per-machine" or "per-user" and only look for elevation when the "per-machine" install is chosen. I've seen many applications doing this.

Certainly any application which defaults to a "per-user" install is going to cause no end of confusion for people on multi-user machines.

f0dder:
I have to disagree, it really is a good feature. If the program you are installing does not require admin rights, you can be sure, it won't install any adware, a virus or add an invisible service or firewall exception.-vlastimil (October 07, 2011, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
All major OSes have local privilege escalation exploits. Installing to a place you shouldn't install to is plainly just stupid. I for one hope Microsoft will start enforcing "only execute from <sensible locations>" policies soon.

That, and what Eóin said.

vlastimil:
Well, exploits are exploits. There will always be holes. That does not mean, applications should not behave correctly. Not requiring admin rights if they are not needed is correct in my book.

BTW If you read carefully, I said the same Eoin said using different words.

---

%APPDATA% is folder like any other, I see nothing insensible there. Granted, if Microsoft designed a "Personal Program Files" folder and named and placed it properly, it would be much better. Such a thing IS needed. We are basically arguing about names.

rgdot:
I for one hope Microsoft will start enforcing "only execute from <sensible locations>" policies soon.

That, and what Eóin said.
-f0dder (October 07, 2011, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

This +100. And prompt before dropping folders, especially generically named folders (eg. "Notes"), into My Docs

Jibz:
It's a royal pain to install and use software if you are not always running as administrator and the only user on a system. Microsoft haven't fixed this in the past 10 years, and now developers are trying to work around it.

I agree that it would be ideal if programs were limited to run from specific sane places, and that installing software into a place that was meant for data is a bad choice, but after you have fought with installers that require admin rights and then only install the shortcuts to the administrators account, software that requires admin rights to enter a license key, and then only shows up as licensed on the admin account, endless changing accounts to update software, software that stores file in the program files folder, etc. etc. etc., quite frankly it was nice that Chrome just worked :(.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version