ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (22/22)

Renegade:
I had my first problem with FreeNAS the other day when I could not login. I had used the proper user name/password, but it didn't work.

Anyways, I wrote a utility to brute force the login. You can find it here:

http://cynic.me/2012/11/21/recover-lost-freenas-user-and-password/

I've got more explanations about what the problems were, blah blah blah.

I've also released it as a NANY submission.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32933.0

I know a few people use FreeNAS here, so might as well make it available in case anyone has a problem.

My first reaction was that I'm a complete moron for forgetting the login. It wasn't until after I'd finished the program that I realized that I didn't forget it, and that there was simply some kind of error.

Full source code is available and in the public domain.

4wd:
This is the solution I came up with for my N40L HTPC, it is almost perfect apart from one major issue which I have detailed here  http://www.tuckshots.co.uk/Temp/Liquesce.htm

Have you experienced missing files in Liquesce storage pools when browsing over the network?

I have since experimented with RAR files and created a folder with 500 3GB files in.  This time I could only see 453 of the files over the network
-Chewie (October 25, 2012, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm notoriously slow to reply to some things.

To answer the question, I don't use SnapRAID or Liquesce - all my data is transient, so I don't bother with RAID solutions, (ie. shit happens, I'll live with it).

As for Liquesce, I'm starting to think about installing it because a couple of my drives are becoming rather unmanageable as separate entities.

Sorry I can't help you atm.

Renegade:
Continuing from another thread:

On the other hand, I am completely for offline storage. With hard drive prices going down, it is easier to download a file and store it than to rely on the cloud. I have almost completed ripping my 850 DVD collection to MP4 for storage on our media server. This will be complete once I am able to setup a Raid 1 array of about 4TB. Right now, I am stuck at 2TB on a single disk. Once I get a new enclosure, I will setup a Windows-based raid mirror (hardware raid is flaky unless you invest in a reliable controller, not those cheap promise boards).
-Josh (December 01, 2012, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of OT, but... Have you looked at FreeNAS? Someone recommended it to me in another thread and it's been wonderful.
-Renegade (December 01, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Josh - +1 w/Ren on FreeNAS. It's a great solution. Before you commit to using Windows, consider giving FreeNAS a try. It won't cost you anything other than your time to try it out. You may be surprised to find it's everything you need - plus a whole lot more.

Although I'm not too big on recommending RAID for most personal uses and/or skill levels, it does have it's place. And the software implementations of RAID running under the NIX environment have proven extremely reliable in my experience. And I do servers for a living. So I see a few more of them in operation than most people do.

Just my  :two:  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (December 01, 2012, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure why people kind of poo-poo on RAID for home use. I suppose for more casual home use, yeah, that makes sense. However, for those of us that work at home, or do work at home, it really is more sensible.

e.g. I have data on my FreeNAS that represents thousands of hours of work.

I get a fair amount of peace of mind from it. If nothing else, that peace of mind is pretty good.

Incidentally, the FreeNAS password recovery software I wrote, I posted here:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?9931-Utility-to-recover-FreeNAS-user-name-and-password

Turns out you can *reset* the password easily enough with physical access to the machine.

So, the software I wrote is less useful, but still EXTREMELY useful when you need to RECOVER the password. e.g. I set the admin WebGUI password to the same as the machine root password... Making recovering the password a VERY valuable task that resetting does not help with, and even hinders.

Anyways, the ability to reset there is fantastic. It's a well designed system and I've been nothing but happy with it. It sure as hell runs better than either my Mac or my PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version