ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (21/22) > >>

4wd:
People have found that NFS performs better, (less overhead than SAMBA from what I understand - someone else could probably explain better), MS didn't put an NFS client in W7 HP/Pro but I believe it's available for Enterprise/Ultimate.

There is a free NFS client: nekodrive

You said you were getting 5.5MB/s from an external drive - what type, (USB, eSATA, NAS, etc) ?

If it was USB or eSATA then that figure seems ridiculously low, which would seem to point to FreeNAS, (or it's drivers), being the culprit.

You might want to consider Ubuntu Server if you can migrate the RAIDZ1 - from other posts I've read, it's a marked improvement, (network-wise), over FreeNAS.

Renegade:
Just a quick update on FreeNAS on my box... I have not rebooted the machine once since I turned it on. It's bloody brilliant! Just works like a charm. :)

It's like zero maintenance! I do nothing and it does what I want. Very happy with this little box. :D

wraith808:
Mine is working well also.  I'm pretty impressed with Synology.

40hz:
+1 for FreeNAS. Have four deployed at different client sites. They're all working splendidly.

Chewie:
BTW, couldn't get FlexRAID to work for some reason so I went looking for something similar:
SnapRAID - Filesystem agnostic parity based data redundancy, (Linux/Windows).
Elucidate - A GUI for SnapRAID (Windows).
Liquesce - Drive pooling for Windows.

All free.
-4wd (June 15, 2012, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
4WD
This is the solution I came up with for my N40L HTPC, it is almost perfect apart from one major issue which I have detailed here  http://www.tuckshots.co.uk/Temp/Liquesce.htm

Have you experienced missing files in Liquesce storage pools when browsing over the network?

I have since experimented with RAR files and created a folder with 500 3GB files in.  This time I could only see 453 of the files over the network

Regards
Craig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version