ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (14/22) > >>

40hz:
I find it frustratingly amusing that companies who manufacture computer components allow themselves to be boxed into a single point of failure by concentrating all their facilities in a single geographic area. Especially when they serve a global market.

If anybody should know better, it's them. Drive manufacturers have been preaching the redundancy and contingency gospel for as long as there's been hard drives.

I've got three clients freaking big time right now. Good luck trying to explain that panic stockpiling will only make the situation worse and play into the hands of the spot-marketeers who are driving up the retail prices.

So it goes... :-\

Stoic Joker:
I find it frustratingly amusing that companies who manufacture computer components allow themselves to be boxed into a single point of failure by concentrating all their facilities in a single geographic area. Especially when they serve a global market.

If anybody should know better, it's them. Drive manufacturers have been preaching the redundancy and contingency gospel for as ling as there's been hard drives.-40hz (November 01, 2011, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - I've been pondering this one myself ... But had assumed it was due to some rare minerals (geographical) availability. Kinda like the memory shortage from a few years back caused by another natural disaster wiping out most of the countryside where it was all from.

wraith808:
+1 - I've been pondering this one myself ... But had assumed it was due to some rare minerals (geographical) availability. Kinda like the memory shortage from a few years back caused by another natural disaster wiping out most of the countryside where it was all from.
-Stoic Joker (November 01, 2011, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is due to a rare resource- money.  At least, that's my perception.

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (November 01, 2011, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is due to a rare resource- money.  At least, that's my perception.
-wraith808 (November 01, 2011, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was actually hoping for a slightly less cynical response ... But I'm with you that one none-the-less. :)

4wd:
I recently built a NAS and ended up using a HP Microserver. Very popular in the UK recently because HP have been running a £100 cashback deal, so the Microserver ends up costing you about £130.-johnk (November 01, 2011, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to thank you for mentioning the Microserver, now I can't wait to get one - I just wish HP would run a cashback here, (Australia), $100 off would make the N40L only ~$150 and I'd jump at it.

A very well specced small unit, I'd take it over a dedicated 4-bay NAS any day since:
a) it's cheaper,
b) I can run whatever OS I want to give the features I want without relying on a possible firmware update from the NAS manufacturer, and
c) I can pack 11 drives into it, (5x3.5" + 6x2.5") :)

Thanks   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version