ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (13/22) > >>

wraith808:
Just got the Synology in.  I'm using this drive.  So far, no problems getting set up, and the interface is a breeze.  I'm formatting it as one big volume- I'm not sure if that was the right choice, and am second guessing it, but that's just my use, and no slight on the experience.  I opted for the format to check the disk, so it's taking a while- 4.5% done with 1.82TB after 20+ minutes.  My only departures from the recommended settings were to change the name of the server (it defaults to DiskStation), and to use a static IP (as I've found with my other NAS it helps with mapping not using their software).

The only possible hiccup was the installation of the OS; they didn't explicitly give info on where to find it or what to choose- it just popped up a dialog on my first access.  But one of the reviews I linked to above talked about installing the OS, so it wasn't too hard for me to find- I'm not sure if it would have been so smooth had I not read those reviews.

More as it develops.

lotusrootstarch:
G luck setting up your new NAS :)

johnk:
I recently built a NAS and ended up using a HP Microserver. Very popular in the UK recently because HP have been running a £100 cashback deal, so the Microserver ends up costing you about £130.

It's small and well-built, officially takes four 3.5" disks but I have installed 5 3.5" plus a fast 2.5" disk as my OS disk. It sips power (with 6 disks, mine idles at 45w).

I used Windows Home Server as an OS (currently about £40), so for £170 plus disks I have a very flexible box. As well as storage it runs programs that need to run 24/7 (my Squeezebox server, for example). One of my best buys recently.

Renegade:
My purchase is on hold for a bit... I'm waiting for the price increases on drives due to the flooding in Thailand to blow over. I got too busy to get out and buy one, then the floods... bad timing. :( Oh well.

CWuestefeld:
I'm waiting for the price increases on drives due to the flooding in Thailand to blow over.
-Renegade (November 01, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's worse than just price increases. Our suppliers [1] are actually removing products from our catalog datafeeds. The situation is so bad that they aren't just marking them as backordered, they're saying that these products no longer exist!

[1] I work for a major large account reseller of computer equipment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version