ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (12/22) > >>

Renegade:
Personally, I don't get the one or two drive NAS units.  What's the point?  I have a $20 enclosure with a single drive in it (I used one of my old drives) that works fine for basic storage. 
-steeladept (October 08, 2011, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

NAS = "Network Attached Storage". The key there is the "Network". Having a USB-connected drive enclosure doesn't give access to all systems in the house.
-CWuestefeld (October 08, 2011, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but in a house, it's simple enough to setup a share. And in a small office with a server, same thing.

It still seems like overkill for a single drive.

skwire:
Yes, but in a house, it's simple enough to setup a share. And in a small office with a server, same thing. -Renegade (October 08, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, but that mandates that the computer it's attached to has to be left on.  With a straight-up NAS unit, the power consumption is fairly minimal so leaving it on 24/7 usually isn't a big deal.  Also, NAS doesn't have to imply a RAID setup.  So, while single-disk NAS units may not have redundancy, they can still serve a useful purpose.

wraith808:
Yes, but in a house, it's simple enough to setup a share. And in a small office with a server, same thing. -Renegade (October 08, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, but that mandates that the computer it's attached to has to be left on.  With a straight-up NAS unit, the power consumption is fairly minimal so leaving it on 24/7 usually isn't a big deal.  Also, NAS doesn't have to imply a RAID setup.  So, while single-disk NAS units may not have redundancy, they can still serve a useful purpose.
-skwire (October 08, 2011, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1.  And that you can stand the extra thrashing from other people accessing your drive.  I've tried having a server set up (or an extra pc).  Too much overhead/maintenance.  I've tried doing the share from one computer.  Makes that one slower.  The only thing that I've found that works for me is having an extra NAS.  I tried it on a small scale with a 320GB Maxtor- and it's great!  And with Maxtor now being Seagate, I'm probably going to go that way.

wraith808:
So has anyone used a Synology NAS?  I see good reviews on them  A little more that the Seagate since it's diskless, but I might be able to swing it and start with one 2TB drive and upgrade later...

wraith808:
After further research, I'm going with the Synology NAS.  Though the Seagate has a drive included, it only has *one* drive bay.  And the processor speed is a lot slower than the Synology.  And I just took a look at the control panel - That's pretty slick!  And the final thing that convinced me is the benchmarks on smallnetbuilder.   I'd not heard of the site, but it has pretty comprehensive coverage of NAS units on that page.

Update: Found two more reviews.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version