ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (5/22) > >>

40hz:
@Ren- Dont really need to be "super up" on hardware anymore. ;D Most of what's out there is good stuff. So all that remains is getting a solution you can work with. FWIW I'm currently in favor of using 2.5" laptop-type drives for small personal servers. They're really rugged since they're designed to be moved around and they use a lot less power. take them out if a cramped laptop case and their thermal characteristics also improve drastically. There's some manufacturers (forget which and can't do a search since I'm at a client site) that have put together some really sweet multibay swappable enclosures for these little guys.

And +1 about power too. My electric bill really is obscene too. Getting my e-footprint smaller is a big priority for me next year.  :Thmbsup:

lotusrootstarch:
^2.5" drives are currently too costly per GB and most NAS appliances are not designed to load these drives, but hey they are much "greener" for sure.

40hz:
^Guess it depends on where you are.  I just bought a 1TB (not on sale) for $99 USD. Maybe not as cheap as the big drives. But not really all that much more expensive in total dollars either. I'd also rather have two or three smaller drives right now than one of those 3TB monsters for no other reason than not wanting too much kept in one basket. Even with RAID or good backups. at least not until some real-world long-term reliability stats become available.
 ;D

Renegade:
^2.5" drives are currently too costly per GB and most NAS appliances are not designed to load these drives, but hey they are much "greener" for sure.
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking. 3.5" drives are still far better value. For the power issue... not too sure... It needs to be measured on a TB basis.

lotusrootstarch:
4 x 2TB 3.5" seems to the most cost-efficient configuration IMHO. RND4000 will not support 3TB drives atm.

NAS = $299
HDDs = 4 * $82 = $328

There you go a complete NAS for AUD $627.

And don't forget to get an 8-port Gigabit switch there if you don't have one already. TP-Link one sells for $44.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version