ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NAS Recommendations?

<< < (8/22) > >>

40hz:
I found RND4000 to be well designed and built, and delivers what I ask from it (storage size >= 8TB, SMB write speed >= 25MB/s, quiet operations).

For me it qualifies as a great NAS.

Read reviews from end-users here:
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-4-Bay-0TB-Diskless/dp/B000VA3TXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317937907&sr=8-1
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm.. 28 out of 80 gave it 5 stars. 22 out of 80 gave it 1. So about 27%, (or a little better than 1 out of 4 buyers) weren't crazy about it. And the complaints all center around hardware failures or software/firmware issues right out of the box - along with complaints about horrendous tech support.

That maps out pretty much to what my experience with Netgear has been.

Again, if you don't have a serious problem right out of the box, or within three months, these gadgets plug along like little champs. It's when you get one of their clunkers that it becomes a headache to deal with.

My biggest complaint about Netgear is their support. I deal with networks and servers for a living. I don't expect a company to not make engineering mistakes. What I do expect is for them to take responsibility and make good on them when they do.

I don't feel Netgear has that ethic.

Just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary. :)

4wd:
As for stores:

MSY, CentreCom, CPL, UMart (order online for pickup), ScorpTec, Landmark Computers (for limited things if I happen to be in the area) and the stores within 100m of MSY (as lotus said).

Online (not the cheapest but I've used but have had zero problems): Stone Computers, Maco Technology (very good), PC Case Gear and Warcom.

Attached is a list of stores I keep handy.

DSE I use for nothing but the electronic components I can't get at JayCar.  JB HiFi are good for some things, (just got a WD TV Live from them but only because I had a gift card and couldn't find anything else to buy).

Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D ), but I've ordered things and specified pickup, they'll confirm stock and send an email when it's ready, I replied and said I'd send somebody to pick it up, (my sister who works near them), zero problems.

As for StaticIce -- first I've heard of it. I'll have a look...-Renegade (October 06, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh ye of short term memory loss.....why did I bother replying  :P

Samsung Tablet thread

FYI (doesn't stop me from shopping there still):
I really don't know many stores around either. Everyone I've talked to says MSY is the best by far. (Just reporting -- I really don't know.)-Renegade (October 06, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Computer company fined $200,000

4wd:
4. Avoid Samsung drives at all costs, buy WD or Seagate
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

curious: why that?
-tomos (October 06, 2011, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Having just had a Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB, (that was 99% full), die due to head failure for no external mechanical reason within 3 months, (YouTube example)....I agree with him.
This seems to be a reasonably common problem among Samsung, enough to put me off them at least, AFAIAC.

I'm sticking to WD, (except their 3TB), for now....every single one of them I've ever bought is still working.

Renegade:
As for stores:

MSY, CentreCom, CPL, UMart (order online for pickup), ScorpTec, Landmark Computers (for limited things if I happen to be in the area) and the stores within 100m of MSY (as lotus said).

Online (not the cheapest but I've used and had zero problems): Stone Computers, Maco Technology (very good), PC Case Gear and Warcom.

Attached is a list of stores I keep handy.

DSE I use for nothing but the electronic components I can't get at JayCar.  JB HiFi are good for some things, (just got a WD TV Live from them but only because I had a gift card and couldn't find anything else to buy).

As for StaticIce -- first I've heard of it. I'll have a look...-Renegade (October 06, 2011, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh ye of short term memory loss.....why did I bother replying  :P

Samsung Tablet thread

FYI (doesn't stop me from shopping there still):
I really don't know many stores around either. Everyone I've talked to says MSY is the best by far. (Just reporting -- I really don't know.)
--- End quote ---

Computer company fined $200,000
-4wd (October 06, 2011, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that list!

I'd completely forgotten about that StaticIce link you'd posted before. When I'd initially looked at it, and clicked through to some sites, they simply scared me off.

When MSY was recommended to me, I had already seen their site (they have a new and improved one since then, not that it really is much of an improvement though). I told my friend that he had to be joking as MSY's site was simply so horribly, horribly bad. e.g. Product lists in PDFs and not much more. They've since fixed that. He insisted that they're the best place to go, and a few other people confirmed it. Their cafeteria-style shops seemed a tad odd the first time I went in, but I've bought a truckload of stuff there and certainly saved over the few other stores that I'm familiar with here. (I probably know Georgetown better than I know Melbourne.)

I get skittish pretty easily. When I have to click around to find contact info, or have a hard time trying to find basic information, or it's buried in a huge long page that should all fit above the fold... I tend to run.

I didn't know that MSY was fined though. I suppose that explains the mats they have at their checkouts with consumer rights listed. :) (That seems to be pretty popular in a lot of stores though... Which used to kind of freak me out a bit...)

As for the 4000 unit, I think that was actually designed by another company that Netgear bought... Could be wrong... I thought I read something about that...

4wd:
I updated my post with a little UMart info since just before your reply.

Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D ), but I've ordered things and specified pickup, they'll confirm stock and send an email when it's ready, I replied and said I'd send somebody to pick it up, (my sister who works near them), zero problems.-4wd (October 06, 2011, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

BTW, the list of stores is nowhere near conclusive nor are many of them even the cheapest but it's handy when I'm checking out who's got what and how much.

I'll always check StaticIce first but there are stores on there I won't go near purely because their P&P is ridiculously overpriced, (UMart could fall into this category but I only ever use them for pickup).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version