ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (20/25) > >>

wraith808:
Jobs was very good at what he did and revolutionized tech... marketing-kfitting (October 26, 2011, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY :)
-Stoic Joker (October 26, 2011, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It wasn't just marketing- people say that all the time.  But look at it objectively, and one can see that it wasn't *just* the marketing.  At least IMO.

Eóin:
True, he also robbed a lot of other people ideas and claimed they were his.

He was famous for taking all the credit.

Apple's famous designer, Jonathan Ive, was frustrated because Steve was constantly taking credit for his ideas.  It was a recurring problem, with incredibly talented executives complaining that Jobs took all the credit for Apple's game-changing innovations.  "I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas," Ive said.  "So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."-http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/032411jobsa
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
True, he also robbed a lot of other people ideas and claimed they were his.

He was famous for taking all the credit.

Apple's famous designer, Jonathan Ive, was frustrated because Steve was constantly taking credit for his ideas.  It was a recurring problem, with incredibly talented executives complaining that Jobs took all the credit for Apple's game-changing innovations.  "I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas," Ive said.  "So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."-http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/032411jobsa
--- End quote ---
-Eóin (October 26, 2011, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

And again, this is baby/bathwater situation.  Not even taking into account that we are on the outside, and this is basically he said/she said kind of stuff (not saying if its true or not), the point is that the company under his leadership *was* responsible for the energizing of the tablet market that Microsoft had been trying to get mainstream for 10 years at the time the iPad came out, and similar things happened with the phone and the music player.  But I suppose that doesn't mean anything?

Carol Haynes:
Can somebody point at one device Apple has produced that wasn't based on an existing product or products?

Sorry his genius was repackaging, re-badging, marketing, stealing ideas and then suing the originator for patent infringement.

If there is one true achievement Jobs and his empire can claim it is the current state of patent laws.

Here are some examples:

* Xerox/Wimp/Gem => MacOS
* BSD => current MacOS foundation + skin to look like old MacOS
* Hardware originally designed for Windows machines => 1/2 generation behind the times to avoid cutting edge issues = Mac PCs/Macbooks
* A multitude of MP3 players and online MP3 download sites => iPod
* A multitude of smart phones and handheld computers => iPhone => iPad

40hz:
Can somebody point at one device Apple has produced that wasn't based on an existing product or products?
-Carol Haynes (October 26, 2011, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. There aren't any.

Sorry his genius was repackaging, re-badging, marketing, stealing ideas and then suing the originator for patent infringement.

If there is one true achievement Jobs and his empire can claim it is the current state of patent laws.
-Carol Haynes (October 26, 2011, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1! Apple was the first business AFAICT that tried to get around the rule you couldn't patent an idea by creating the legal fiction that eventually came to be known as the "look & feel" argument when they accused Microsoft of copying an Apple 'innovation' (i.e. resizeable and moveable windows) which Apple had wholly lifted from Xerox PARC.

Years later, Jobs would claim to have paid Xerox $1 for the use of their desktop concept. But apparently no record survived of that deal. Or at least not enough of a record to prevent Xerox from suing Apple for stealing PARC's ideas several years after the Macintosh came out.

So it goes...:-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version