ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (3/25) > >>

Renegade:
Just musing, but I wonder what Richard Stallman has to say...

zridling:

For every positive thing people say about Jobs, I can list at least one negative. For me, his legacy will be one of suing every other company on the planet ad infinitum and taking the patent mess to a power of 10. Fifty-six seems young these days, but quite a few Foxconn workers never lived that long (and don't tell me Foxconn isn't an 'Apple' company, since 90% of its business is from Apple). I've already seen people all over the web today attributing quotes to Jobs that others' have written (Steve Brand, being one). Yikes. Google has a link under its search box today. I guess that's classy.

Ehtyar:
I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to appear. It seems I am not to be disappointed with the DC community :)

I'm with Eóin and zridling (which should come as no surprise to anyone who frequents the IRC channel). While I understand the attachment that the Apple sycophants have to him, I'd love to hear/read of anything that would make Steve Jobs deserving of the titles everyone seems so eager to bestow upon him, even before his death. Let's hope Tim Cook can make Apple a company worth even half the stock people are so willing to place in it.

Ehtyar.

Eóin:
I suppose it was very heartless of to say that, heartless in the sense that such a comment is utterly unnecessary on the night of his death. For that I do apologise

I have no doubt that there were many who truly loved him, his wife and children as an obvious example, to them my sympathies go out as his death will leave a very painful void in their lives.

But the IT and business world are worse for his presence in them, and I see first hand some of the damage his clueless fanatics cause -

In my fathers school the "unofficial" IT department is headed by Apple zealots who are utterly clueless about everything to do with computers, yet of course see themselves as experts. They have connived the school to purchase Macs and iPads to help teach the students. That is public money from Irelands cash strapped educational system being spent on computers costing double the price of their components and tablets whose locked down natures means the school is at the mercy of Apples decisions on software. This is not unique either, you hear of this happening all over Ireland.

To me this a a sin of enormous proportions, the same money could buy maybe 5 times as many netbooks, each of which would be infinity more useful in a educational environment.

In the broader world, the closed ecosystem of Apples products is pure evil and in no way is it in consumers interests, Steve Jobs personally crusaded for this setup and together with Apples marketing department he preyed on the most technology clueless of people to establish this precedent and used it as foothold for enforcing his vision upon everyone else.

4wd:
Continuing my campaign on "perspective"...-Renegade (October 05, 2011, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know the answer to that one:
Spoiler=1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version