ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (2/25) > >>

rgdot:
Normally I don't talk give 'opinion' so close after someone's passing and I don't like to. However the part quoted above by Eóin is astounding.

RIP

nosh:
"For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor, I will miss Steve immensely." - Bill Gates.

R.I.P

SpoilerAll iDevices will automatically shut down now for a two minute silence in 3...2...1...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :-[

Renegade:
Steve Jobs showed little inclination to use his personal wealth for philanthropic purposes.

And, strangely for a self-professed Buddhist, he did not embrace environmental concerns-http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12215485
--- End quote ---

Says it all really, what a horrible human being he was.
-Eóin (October 05, 2011, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

WTF this is the most heartlesssssss comment I read today.
-lotusrootstarch (October 05, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heartless? Maybe. Accurate? Certainly.

Continuing my campaign on "perspective"...

Disturbing image
Something like this happens 16,000 times a day when children under 5 starve to death.

Normally I don't talk give 'opinion' so close after someone's passing and I don't like to. However the part quoted above by Eóin is astounding.

RIP

-rgdot (October 05, 2011, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's impossible to comment on death unless you say something nice. If you don't have something nice to say, no matter how true, you're a "bad person". Meh... I'm going to hate seeing all the sycophants coming out of the woodwork over the next couple days...

<self-censorship reason="horribly inappropriate and callous" />

I can't help but wonder what good for people Steve could have done if he set his mind to it. He worked magic. Had he have beaten cancer and lived on, I wonder what he would have done...

Carol Haynes:
The other quote from the same obit;

Steve Jobs was a one off; a man who had total belief in his own abilities and a shortage of patience for anyone who failed to agree with him.
--- End quote ---

To me this sums up the Apple philosophy - will that be his legacy?

I read another obit (sorry didn't keep the link) which said when Bill Gates dies he will be remembered for his philanthropy whereas Jobs is more likely to be remembered for his innovation.

The truth is no one knows - and how much true innovation was there really?

The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player
iTunes wasn't the first music download store
The iPad wasn't the first (or best) tablet
The iPhone is one of many similar products (and again wasn't the first in its class)
Apple didn't produce the first PC
Apple didn't invent the windowed desktop
Apple didn't develop new hardware as far as I can tell either (at least not at the component level)

At the end of the day Apple has been really good at generating interest, loyalty and sales and aggressively attacking the opposition - but probably not in that order. It remains to be seen if Apple can continue to do this without Jobs's influence.

Whatever you think of Steve Jobs he certainly made a big impact in the first decade of the 21st century at least (IMHO the Apple II and early MAcs were interesting but didn't have the same global impact) - however I don't think he should be granted saint-like status or given personality traits in death that he didn't have in life. Even his closest colleagues and friends said he was a difficult and driven person to work with.

Carol Haynes:
All iDevices will automatically shut down now for a two minute silence in 3...2...1...
-nosh (October 05, 2011, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

It has been said everyone who was alive at the time remembers where they were when JFK was shot.

iPhone owners will probably have their locations logged for posterity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version