ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steve Jobs is dead.

<< < (21/25) > >>

wraith808:
I'm going to bow out at this point, because apparently his 'reality distortion field' goes both ways, as it seems that some can't see the negative, and some can't see the positive.  Few are completely either, and IMO, he doesn't fall into that few.

And one last point I'll add- most people can't say that they truly innovated *anything* without dependence on *any* other technologies, so take that for what its worth.

40hz:
And one last point I'll add- most people can't say that they truly innovated *anything* without dependence on *any* other technologies, so take that for what its worth.
-wraith808 (October 26, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Science historian James Burke based a career and three educational TV series (Connections, Connections² and Connections³) on that very same insight.

:Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Very true - but you can equally argue that some people don't truly invent at all, they develop and adapt what is already there.

One of the arguments in the UK is that UK inventors (and Scottish in particular) are some of the best in the world, in terms of actual inventions, and have had a huge influence on the development of world technology (disproportionate to the size of the UK population). However it seems to take others to develop the ideas to become a global phenomenon and get the credit!

Jobs's genius is that he took existing ideas, packaged them in some good looking design and then convinced the world that you have to buy a new MP3 player, a new phone and now a new tablet at least once a year. If only he could have bottled it ....

mwb1100:
apparently his 'reality distortion field' goes both ways, as it seems that some can't see the negative, and some can't see the positive.
-wraith808 (October 26, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's probably the most insightful thing I've seen on this thread!

40hz:
IMHO most of the reality distortion comes from the desire of many of his admirers (and to some extent Mr. Jobs himself) to be portrayed as something other than what he actually was: a businessman.

I think once more people realize and the accept the fact that Steve Jobs was a businessman - and not an inventor, programmer, designer, or engineer - both his role, and his contribution to Apple (and to the industry in general) will become easier to put into perspective. And more likely be discussed in a civil and rational manner a result.

Just my 2¢

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version