ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

research system where emails w/ inline pics are the base

<< < (3/3)

IainB:
@Steven Avery:
I tried Google Groups. The mail goes to the receiver fine, identical to Yahoogroups.  Then the big issue is the archiving. Where it is better than Yahoogroups, but it converts the embedded .jpg to an attachment .jpg...

... the pic does show up properly within a gmail account.
-Steven Avery (October 04, 2011, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't seem to be quite correct, as proved by the following tests:
Test 1: Using Gmail, I just went through the process of dragging and dropping a .jpg image file into an email, and sending it to a Google group.
Results:
The .jpg image file showed clearly in the email during compose and was NOT registered as an attached file.
The .jpg image file shows clearly as an embedded file in the email posted to the Google group, and right-clicking on it shows the filename "image.jpeg".
The .jpg image does not show in the "sent" email in Gmail, is NOT registered as an attached file, but is represented by an icon embedded in the text of the email, and right-clicking on it shows the filename "image.jpeg".

I repeated Test 1, but with a .png image file, and got identical results, except the file gets named to "image.png".

Test 2: Using Gmail again, I forwarded an email to a Google group. The email - which had been forwarded to me -  contained embedded linked Picasa images from a friend.
Results:
The images showed up fine in the group post, except (interestingly) for some images which had been deleted from Picasa since the original email that had been forwarded to me.
The images showed up fine in the "sent" email.

Test 3: Using Gmail again, I pasted a .png image - which I had earlier copied into CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) - into the email, and sent it to a Google group.
Results:
The .png image file showed clearly in the email during compose and was NOT registered as an attached file.
The .png image file did not show as an embedded image nor was it registered as  file in the post to the Google group - there was nothing to show that it had been there.
The .png image does not show in the "sent" email in Gmail, is NOT registered as an attached file, but is represented by a lot of garbage text embedded in the text of the email.

So, it looks as though you can do what you want, using Gmail and Google groups, if the images are embedded (not attached) .jpg or .png images, and have not been "pasted" into the email - they then seem to stay embedded in the text of the group post, just as they were in the text of the email.

IainB:
@Steven Avery: I should perhaps add that Google groups changed its format early this year, and that my test results are from using the new format - you can still use the old one, which has not been phased out yet.
I always felt that the old format was a bit kludgy, and - though I am not sure - I suspect you might not get similar results if you ran the tests under the old format.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Yes, I was working with the new google groups, I sort of remembered that the old one was not real competent on this, so I did not check.

Ok, let's agree on terminology. I was using embedded, inline and pasted synonymously.  What I actually (generally) do is PASTE (using Abbyy Screenshot Reader) into the email.

Your embedded sounds like a pointer to external ? Or something else.

So my google forum test (the new adventures of the new google) gave me the icon-attachment result in Google groups, which, while reasonable and superior to Yahoogroups, doesn't quite mustard-cut.

Thus the switchover to Google mail, where the picture looked "pasted" properly to the google email wall .. ie. exactly as I sent it, more or less.

Goal: (gooaaaalll) I am avoiding anything having to do with external file holders, and avoiding anything to do with attachments. 

Perhaps that is a bit clearer ? 
So from that perspective, my options right now seem to be"

1) Google mail (this could even be a direct mail, rather than through a dummy group)

2) Evernote (tests in process)

I'm actually planning a 25 email test, maybe tomorrow.  To see how it goes, and then the full project quickly.

Shalom,
Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version