ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

You're only as free and private as the network YOU control

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
The downside being, who uses PSTNs anymore??
-Stoic Joker (October 04, 2011, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um...how about most residential and SMB customers in the United States last I heard?-40hz (October 04, 2011, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could be a regional thing, but I wouldn't be too sure about that. Cable companies are and have been bundling in phone service for a while. So just because the PSTN/POTS wiring is still sticking out of the wall...don't mean it's live. Because now all the phone lines go to the cable box. The number of time I've had to have the "Why are my faxes failing all of a sudden?"... discussion is constantly on the rise because the cable companies always screw-up the fax line.

That and everybody is cutting costs, so in a standard household of 4, with everyone having a cell phone ... what the hell is the point in paying for an extra fifth phone?? ...The dog ain't gonna answer the damn thing (It's useless).

Good Ol' fashion analog phone lines are starting to get rare my friend.

40hz:
^Could well be a regional thing as you mentioned. Can't vouch for actual POTs use, but at least half the ADSL I see around here comes in via a local phone company plug. Cablevision was doing well for a while. But that last hurricane that knocked out power for 3-5 days took the blush off the rose for a lot of VoIP users I've talked to.
 :)

app103:
ADSL over a POTS line (self-installed) is more the norm. :-\
-40hz (October 04, 2011, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I have here in suburban northern NJ. And I have an old PC with a 33.6k X2 data/fax/voice dilaup modem. It's kind of retired now, but I can boot it up if/when it ever becomes necessary.

40hz:
@app103 - you're my kind of techno-wonk (as in "been there" and prudent)  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version