ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 7 is out

(1/14) > >>

cyberdiva:
Hi, all.  I just got notified that Firefox 7 is available.  As usual, I responded "remind me later," since I always like to have some feedback first from those braver or more foolhardy than I am.  :)

rgdot:
Have been running beta for a couple of weeks. I don't see any perceptible improvements over older versions.
I think at some point the versions and supposed improvements pass you by. While this may not make sense from a viewpoint of a program/code at some point a user has to accept that some newer stuff are not meant for older (XP era) computers. For example may be in this case it has to do with hardware acceleration. I have not seen any major, or arguably minor, improvements on the memory and CPU front. 3 similar tabs (no add-ons!) go to 400MB+ as fast as v3.6 for me.

Renegade:
v7???? WTF????

This is like a new major version every week just about!

Something's screwy...

Carol Haynes:
Not screwy:

IE 9 is out (and now 10 is being put forward for Windows 8)
Opera 11.5 is there
Google Chrome is at version 14
Even Safari is at version 5 (I think - can't see any way to check for updates)

Firefox is still at version 3.5 which must be really bad ... oh no it isn't at version 3.5 any more. Someone farts in the office each week and that bumps the major version number up one!

I can't honestly say I have seen anything since version 3.5 that justifies a whole version increment - except the annoyance of constantly broken extensions. I haven't seen anything since version 4 that warrants any sort of version number change in the first or second digit.

Really extensions are the only reason I ever use Firefox - I am increasing using Chrome which is so much faster and just works.

Maybe I am being overly critical and there are major things going on behind the scenes that are building up to a major wow factor but somehow I doubt it. Mozilla is just turning itself into a joke with this ridiculous pace of version change.

KynloStephen66515:
They just do it for the cup-cakes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version