ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic

<< < (5/16) > >>

JavaJones:
It's great to see someone finally tackling this. I hope the effort is successful. It sounds like you have some connections that will help. I'll do what I can to spread the word, though my networks are not necessarily large.

I also wanted to mention that I still think mouser's idea of a test and badge system rewarding good (low false positive) software/software publishers has a lot of potential. I think a combination of shaming the bad and rewarding the good could be most effective. Hopefully this effort can develop toward that long-term. But you have a good place to start.

- Oshyan

db90h:
I also wanted to mention that I still think mouser's idea of a test and badge system rewarding good (low false positive) software/software publishers has a lot of potential. I think a combination of shaming the bad and rewarding the good could be most effective. Hopefully this effort can develop toward that long-term. But you have a good place to start.
-JavaJones (September 23, 2011, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, and we should include that as well (already I linked to his post about it). One thing at a time though. FIRST, we must expose the problem, then we can work on solutions.

JavaJones:
Yes, I agree. That's why I said I hope this effort can develop toward that. This is a good way to start, getting people to post their experiences and getting pledges from devs/publishers for support of the idea.

- Oshyan

db90h:
Thanks to all of you, and please forgive me when I repeat myself. I move at 1000 miles an hour, so sometimes it is accidental --- but other times it is purposeful. In this day and age, everyone skims, so it is important to repeat things in order to get the point across ;).

I am happy to say that this effort has some major supporters already and is spreading like wildfire! Thanks to those of you who have volunteered your time or other services. I may very well be taking you up on that, as I have a business to run. Not spending half my time dealing with FPs and site rating issues will sure make that job easier.

I am now trying to get security vendors to publicly commit. They are scared publicly to do so at this time, but as it grows, they will .. I believe ;). Some have expressed their private willingness to participate, which is a great first step!

Curt:
I sure hope this anti-FP action will go well.  :up:

However, already been told that the thread will move to another domain, I am not inclined to register at Bitsum's, in order to upload a post or two. I think more people than me may have had a similar thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version