ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

notetaker that uses the filesystem and has powerful search?

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
The one notetaker that I know where each note is a file is aignes' AM-notebook (http://aignes.com/notebook.htm). However the search function is poor.

Does anyone know any notetaker/PIM that uses the filesystem and has powerful search?
It must show a list of hits as I type, with the matches in the text highlighted (like evernote does).
File format doesn't matter, rtf, html is fine.

I want to use the filesystem because, together with wuala, this should be useful for collaboration. A shared wuala folder, with notifications when someone adds or edits a file, is a very nice way to work together.

NOTE: I asked also in the outliners forum.

urlwolf:
I think I've found a good solution, scrivener for windows

Paul Keith:
Hmm...thanks. I had no idea scrivener works with the filesystem or do you mean it's like Word and it saves itself to a separate doc extension?

rgdot:
Sorry have to ask...what do you mean by 'uses the filesystem'? :)

urlwolf:
Sorry have to ask...what do you mean by 'uses the filesystem'? :)
-rgdot (September 22, 2011, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

This means that instead of a proprietary db, the tool uses individual files per notes, and you can see them in your file explorer. You can of course open them in other tools. This is not the result of an 'export' operation, but native. This warrants you can use other tools in the future, and prevents vendor lockin. It also help use filesystem features.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version