ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone seeing problems with MS Security Essentials recently?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I did some quick Googling and found several places that mentioned the recently opened file history to be a frequent cause of this behavior. *Shrug* That would certainly explain why the 9x style open/save dialogs weren't affected.

Fix was to clear the recently opened file history.

J-Mac:
Check your most recent Microsoft Update patches. Whenever I get weird unexpected behavior like this - especially with a Microsoft app - they seem to have figured into the problem.

Jim

cranioscopical:
what I have seen lately, but forgot to mention, was delays/short-freezes with FARR (typed letters not showing beyond the first one or two), with an associated CPU flurry which turned out to be MSSE - presumably checking out whatever was on the list. Not always, but often.
-tomos (September 22, 2011, 02:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
That occurs here. I've nothing useful to contribute to understanding it.

doctorfrog:
what I have seen lately, but forgot to mention, was delays/short-freezes with FARR (typed letters not showing beyond the first one or two), with an associated CPU flurry which turned out to be MSSE - presumably checking out whatever was on the list. Not always, but often.
-tomos (September 22, 2011, 02:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Holy heck, I've been seeing this very thing for a long time and never even thought of this. Just whitelisted it now and it's cruisin'.

JavaJones:
I haven't really noticed any problems with MSE myself, but I'm always curious to try new things. Though I'm not a big fan of PCMag, their recent freeware antivirus comparison brought Lavasoft's freeware solution to my attention. I'm currently testing it on my laptop, so far memory use seems a bit higher than MSE, but otherwise fine. Let's see how it does in long-term use...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version