ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advice Needed: Fixing Pentium 4 PC with Conficker virus

<< < (2/3) > >>

kyrathaba:
Thanks 40hz.  If it turns out to be a bad CD drive, I'll take you up on that!  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Say the word, it's yours. Always glad to help a fellow DCer. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Once you get a working CD, you could try CureIt! LiveCD.  It's built every day with the latest virus definitions included.

I've used it previously with good results.

kyrathaba:
Dear old dad is a hunt-and-peck typist, and an avid but unsophisticated computer user :)  Love his heart, nine out of ten times when he tells me his PC has "started acting up...", it turns out he's done something he shouldn't have done.  Used to be, I could just use the built-in recovery partition to restore his system, but I've noticed that more and more laptops and notebooks are no longer coming with a recovery partition pre-installed.  Instead, they want you to create your own on a DVD (or set of DVDs).  And some manufacturers (HP comes to mind) will only allow you to create this Recovery Disc once (why, I ask).

After finally getting his aging Dell Latitude C800 WinXP machine up and running again, mother and I got him a new Dell Presario with Win 7 Home Premium and 2 GB Ram.  He's still raving about how fast it is, LOL...

kyrathaba:
Now let me show my ignorance (and hopefully learn something):

Say that I wind up formatting his desktop's HDD.  Virus gone: *POOF*.  But will I then be able to access the CD-ROM, or will I be missing the drivers necessary to do that because I just formatted them out of existence?

I know that there's something the PC Repair Guys use, called a Preinstallation Environment, and I have BartPE on USB (but my dad's desktop won't boot from a USB).

To rephrase...

Say it turns out that his CD_ROM drive isn't failed in any hardware sense, but was simply being messed-up by the Conficker bug.  Nevertheless, will I be able to access the CD drive if I reformat the HDD?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version