ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP "Automatic Update" / "Restart Later" super annoying dialog

<< < (2/2)

Armando:
I like the

--- Code: Text ---net stop "automatic updates"
solution.

I'd get a notification that a reboot is necessary, but it would stop nagging.  After rebooting, automatic updates would be active again as normally configured.

Makes for a nice little one-liner batch file - maybe call it "stopnag.cmd" or something.  And no clicking about in some service management GUI, no mucking about in the register (or even worse, Group Policy editor settings that I can never find again 6 months later).  Best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned.

-mwb1100 (September 16, 2011, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it's much better than clicking through a GUI.

However, I like the group policy thing. I've set it up to remind me every 6 hours that I need to reboot.

@Tom : brutal.  ;) But yes, that would work too I suppose.

I was trying to find a solution less drastic than just shutting down the service on a regular basis. Maybe that's because I rarely (want to) reboot. :)

app103:
Another solution is to not click "Restart later" and just use PS Tray Factory to hide the dialog in the tray.  ;)

Armando:
Hehe.

However, aren't there cases where a count down will be triggered after a while and you computer will restart anyway ? Maybe not... but I think I've experienced that in the past.

app103:
Hehe.

However, aren't there cases where a count down will be triggered after a while and you computer will restart anyway ? Maybe not... but I think I've experienced that in the past.
-Armando (September 16, 2011, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have never had that happen before.

JavaJones:
As far as I know the countdown only happens if you have updates set to fully automatic, i.e. not on "download but let me decide when to install", or other options. In that case, even if you do the update manually before the scheduled time, I believe if you leave it to sit after finishing, it will start a restart countdown.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version