ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA ~ Show List of Shortcuts overlaid on Desktop

<< < (9/10) > >>

Target:
where are all the solutions you guys have been working on?

Boarding Hows shows a (separate) context menu for each application - hotkey Win+F1 to show

Each application must have a corresponding helper file, and it must be in the same format as Tomos' original examples (ie XXX / ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) as the script parses each line and uses the first field to build the submenu's 

Helper files must be named for the relevant application (eg Outlook.txt, Excel.txt, etc), and the names should be case sensitive - if you want to have a game simply rename the sample text files according to your particular requirements

only downside I can see is dealing with multiple apps with similar/common titles (eg Notepad, Notepad2, Natepad++, etc)

tomos:
sounds good Target,
needed a restart after adding new text file (logical - just noting)

That's an interesting implementation:
it recreates the menu, but just showing the shortcuts you have in the list.

It has focus, so I'm able to navigate it with arrow, enter & escape keys. As soon as I click on the Alt key (wanted to AltTab) it disappears :up:
It also disappears after clicking on the XY window

The thing is, with XYplorer, the shortcuts are already shown in the menu(s) so the temptation is to just use the XY menu's...
But one could also construct one's own menus e.g.

* File-Operations
* Views-Sorting
* Panes
* etc.

[edit] those extra spaces under File etc were in the text file - I had left blank spaces where I had cut lines from the list. It jumps these spaces when using the arrow keys :up:
List was created from my "Edited List" in reply #14. Attached in case - NOT a full list! [/edit]

Target:
needed a restart after adding new text file (logical - just noting)
--- End quote ---

use WIN+R to reload :)

--- End quote ---

is that not what you were asking for?

all it does is create a 'menu' based on your text file(s) (in the example I used the 'full' list you supplied)

I did fiddle with a couple of GUI implementations but they just seemed to intrusive

The thing is, with XYplorer, the shortcuts are already shown in the menu(s) so the temptation is to just use the XY menu's...
But one could also construct one's own menus e.g.
--- End quote ---

more options are better than less, and it's not costing you anything

theoretically you could put anything you like in it, so long as you maintain the string format

those extra spaces under File etc were in the text file - I had left blank spaces where I had cut lines from the list. It jumps these spaces when using the arrow keys
--- End quote ---

interesting - that was the first thing I noticed in your screenshot (thanks for the explanation!!)

and after all that, does it answer your original requirements?

tomos:
did I say thanks Target? :Thmbsup:
It's very polished really, I like the implementation.

--- End quote ---

is that not what you were asking for?
-Target (September 21, 2011, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Originally I had the idea of a short list - then I was looking at/using XYplorer (which I only usually use for a couple of specific uses) and realised there was a lot I could learn there. So, then I had the idea of a long, possibly scrollable list.
So it is very different than I imagined - but I didnt really know what I was asking for, beyond help :)

and after all that, does it answer your original requirements?
-Target (September 21, 2011, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll try it out with dopus (which I using more often) and see how I get on with it :up:

Target:
fwiw, here's the source code

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version