ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA ~ Show List of Shortcuts overlaid on Desktop

(1/10) > >>

tomos:
So far a vague idea -
I'm working with a couple of programmes where I'm not fully familiar with the shortcuts.
Had the idea to show a list of shortcuts overlaid on the desktop (to one side) related to the current focused app.

* Shown transparently on the desktop could be problematic because of different coloured backgrounds (text not showing clearly)
* Might be easier (but less elegant) to have a list open in Notepad or whatever
* Lists would have to be made manually
* Lists would probably have to be changed manually
I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for many programmes - but for one programme (for me) I think it would be.
I guess I could make the list for that, make a transparent gif/(?) and overlay it on the desktop somehow - was there an app here lately that did that? (couldnt find, but I have a distinct memory of some way of showing an image on top of desktop image...)

Paul Keith:
Sounds like something that widgets are for. I haven't really tried Samurize but weren't they the Lifehacker poster child for these kinds of needs?

tomos:
thanks Paul
Sounds like something that widgets are for. I haven't really tried Samurize but weren't they the Lifehacker poster child for these kinds of needs?
-Paul Keith (September 15, 2011, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have no idea... :)

Version:    1.64.3
Submitted Date:    2007/4/8
Submitter:    AdamC
--- End quote ---
last updated 2007 - anyone using it with windows 7?

or maybe Rainmeter would be a better candidate...
Will have a look at it later

nudone:
This won't be of great help but your request is very similar to an old problem we were discussing on DC. Mouser even started to put a solution together and now I can't remember what it was called - maybe it would be overkill anyway.

A similar solution I've tried myself is to use one of the desktop post-it note like programs. There are ones that will do transparency, always on-top, and also "stick" to a specific window or program. With all those features you can then create shortcut reminders (in a note) that will only appear when the related program is running. Or just have the note visible on the desktop at all times. (This applies to several notes too, of course.)

Mouser's Desktopcoral could also help probably. That could clear space at the side of the screen.

skwire:
@tomos:  Something like this would be rather easy to write as a basic AHK script that you could easily modify and extend to your needs.  I wouldn't want to write a configuration GUI for it, though.  One question, though.  When you say transparency, do you mean full window transparency?  Or, do you mean you only want to see floating text and no other window elements?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version