ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...

<< < (3/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just looking at the video is very impressive but every version of Windows since XP has been hailed as fast booting (and a Win 7 fresh install that has been fully optimised is pretty quick, plus you can starting using it before the boot process completes).

Trouble is that in the real world these speeds are never maintained beyond the first few days of use without regular maintenance - which windows is terrible at in automatic mode.

Also it isn't clear if anything is actually ready to use - it is dead easy to load a start page quickly (Especially if it was cached before the system shutdown) - it is entirely different to be able to do something useful at that point! I don't know about other systems but I can't get on the internet at that point simply because it takes longer to connect to the router (assuming the interface is even ready to use at that point).

MS have always been a company that likes smoke and mirrors - and way early pre-release software has a habit of going through numerous processes that remove the full potential of these early promos.

Stoic Joker:
7 seconds? Damn. I might consider rebooting more often then (or not). I only reboot every few (3 - 6) months for Win updates depending on how critical what patch is. Hell I've only shutdown my main comp about 4 times since I built it.

Renegade:
7 seconds? Damn. I might consider rebooting more often then (or not). I only reboot every few (3 - 6) months for Win updates depending on how critical what patch is. Hell I've only shutdown my main comp about 4 times since I built it.
-Stoic Joker (September 13, 2011, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I "reboot" much more often than that thanks to wonderful video drivers. a.k.a. BSOD. Grrr...  :mad:

TheQwerty:
Meh... I really don't understand why the entire Internet seems to be fawning over this demo.

It's great that booting Windows may be quicker, but this doesn't seem like much of an improvement over current competition.

I have a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook, it boots in less than 10 seconds from cold.
My MacBook Pro with SSD boots quick enough as well - I've never bothered to time it but I'm always surprised by how quick it seems.

They also both have incredibly low powered sleep states which they can remain in for days without killing the battery and wake from instantaneously (at least to me).  This renders the longer cold boot times moot.

Again, it's fantastic seeing Windows boot up as quickly - though until our IT gives us anything other than XP and trims their 20 minutes of drive decrypting, start-up scripts, and updating I'm not sure I care.

But my biggest complaint is the video itself... It's a worthless demonstration.
We have no idea what the machine's specs are; they strongly imply it's SSD but no other info.
Taking out one battery proves nothing.
Not showing us the shutdown sequence means we don't know whether the laptop is actually booting up fresh or waking from hibernation. For all we know it's a virtual machine!

I watch that and cannot believe they'd waste time filming something so pointless...
And why the heck doesn't Microsoft have any tables?!?

nudone:
Carol put it in context. They can make it boot instantly but if it's still going take another five minutes for the background tasks to load in, then so what.

The primary reason I've soiled myself with this iPad is because it's instant on AND instant wi-fi connected. Windows needs something similar, just the essentials on and ready instantly - the non essential stuff loading in whilst you've already opened your browser and getting on with stuff.

Maybe that's what win8 does?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version