ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...

<< < (9/9)

f0dder:
They abandoned their own technology -Silverlight ?   :huh:  Man, this is really bad message for all those .NET developers.-mahesh2k (September 25, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good question - I don't know if it's going to be in the metro version of IE10 or not, but it'll definitely be available for the desktop version... and .NET applications are first-class citizens for WinRT (the replacement for Win32), silverlight is just another .NET aspect.

superboyac:
There's an authorized MS developer next to me right now, and he had a pre-beta Windows 8 tablet.  Guys, this thing is very nice.  Very fast, responsive, and it's not even in beta stage yet.  What's going to be appealing to us about all of this is the fact that in the backend, it's running a normal Windows desktop environment.  The tile UI (which I really like) is more like a launcher, at least that's how I think of it.  It's like a fullscreen LBC or TrueLaunchbar.  The only other weird new thing to think about is the two types of programs: apps and regular pc programs.  Regular programs are the stuff we use now that is mouse-centric, and apps are the touch-centric programs.  I don't really feel a need to distinguish between the two other than the input device.

I've now had the chance to play with Android phones and tablets, full Mac pc's, ipads, iphones.  After the initial wow factor, none of those things are tremendously useful for me, from a productivity standpoint.  A lot business applications become cumbersome on the mac.  Android and iOS are very very limited in what they can do. The hope once again falls on mobile devices that can somehow effectively run full Windows OS's in small form factors.  Windows is the key.

And all these opinions are from the perspective of a person trying to avoid cloud services.  If you are open to cloud services, than much of my criticisms of iOS and Android might not be valid.  But you will be sacrificing privacy, flexibility, inability to work without a connection, you will be managing several monthly payment accounts, and forget about dealing with large amounts of data.

Stoic Joker:
The touch interface is cool, when you can touch it. But I gotta tell you ... Accessing it via remote desktop seriously blows. They really gotta fix that part. I've got an HP TouchSmart running the Windows 8 dev preview at the office, I'm really trying to like it ... But it ain't easy.

superboyac:
The touch interface is cool, when you can touch it. But I gotta tell you ... Accessing it via remote desktop seriously blows. They really gotta fix that part. I've got an HP TouchSmart running the Windows 8 dev preview at the office, I'm really trying to like it ... But it ain't easy.
-Stoic Joker (November 07, 2011, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's going to be critical...the smoothness of the touch stuff.  After all this time, Android still is not nearly as smooth as Apple.  Apple, of course, has the benefit of fine-tuning their closed ecosystem hardware and software, so they have an advantage.  I hope MS really focuses on the responsiveness of the touch with Windows 8.  As you say, it can be awesome feature-wise, but if the touch isn't smooth, we're always going to be looking a little enviously at Apple and wishing we could have it that smooth while still being a Windows OS.  That's what I'm constantly thinking about, at least.

Check this out, a fake Metro UI for Windows 7:
http://mosaicproject.codeplex.com/

I'm using it right now, it's pretty cool.  It can't really do much, but it's cool.

Stoic Joker:
I hope MS really focuses on the responsiveness of the touch with Windows 8.-superboyac (November 07, 2011, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I'd say that one is a sure thing. My test box (specs are in another thread) is an older low budget cheap-O, HP all-in-one, with absolutely nothing exciting for hardware. And it's smooth as hell when navigating the UI and/or the inbox games that we all took turns playing with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version