ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Case of the missing partitions when downgrading from W7 to XP

(1/2) > >>

brahman:
Hi everybody,

a while ago I installed the trial version of Win7 on my lappy.

Then I took the hard drive out, put it in another lappy and mirrored XP to the HD with Drive Snapshot.

Now XP starts fine, but my second partition is laways hiding. I can unhide it with any partition tool and it will show up for that session, but after a reboot it is gone into hiding again.

I think it has to do with the way Win7 aligns partitions.

I can find plenty of tutorials on the web to align a drive to the new Win7 partitoning scheme, but have not been lucky to find one that can reverse it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

KynloStephen66515:
Only thing I can think of, is to perhaps backup all the partitions data onto another drive, then format the partitions using XP.  Might work, might not, worth a shot though.

brahman:
Hi Stephen,

please don't get me wrong, but I would prefer to hear a solution from somebody who actually has had experience with this kind of problem or is very knowledgeable about this topic instead of a long shot solution.

But thank you very much for your try at helping me out.

app103:
It depends on the order in which you installed the different versions of Windows.

If you installed XP first, to the first partition, Stephen's approach would be exactly what you would have to do.

BUT if you installed Win7 first, removing it might make XP unbootable. It would remove the boot.ini file.

You should probably make a full backup of the xp partition (win7 too if you want to keep anything from it), format the entire drive to wipe the whole thing clean, then put XP back on it in the right place...the first partition.

Make sure you have a working boot.ini file for booting xp on the first partition, though, or it will not boot. If you do a fresh install of XP you should have one. But if you mirror what you have now you might not.

brahman:
Thanks for your answer:
I installed XP first in the first partition, then a fresh install of Win7 trial with a reformat of the first partition, then (on a different lappy) mirrored an install of XP.

The problem here also is that the lappy is a tablet Toshiba Portege M205 with the special XP pro version for tablets and it did not come with recovery disks.

Furthermore on this computer it is extremely difficult to reinstall the OS, and I would not really want to do it anyway, since I will have to reinstall all my software.

So I am looking for a kind of live realignment solution, if possible.

Would anybody know about how to do it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version