ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux distros that work with Dell Laptops' 1397 mini-wifi card & Broadcom router

<< < (2/2)

kyrathaba:
I've never had good luck getting any linux distro to connect to my wifi. LucidPuppy would intermittently connect, at best. Other distros, of which I tried Fedora, Mint, and at least four others, I couldn't do squat with -- but then I'm ignorant about Linux.

kyrathaba:
What's funny is that Android, the OS underlying many tablets, is a version of Linux. It connects just fine. It's all in the engineering and how much effort gets put into making something seamlessly easy for the end-user.

40hz:
I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with no hassles.

Because the required Broadcom driver for the 1397 wifi card is proprietary, it isn't included by default although Mint does detect it's absence and offers to install it for you if needed.

The only catch is you need to be connected to the Internet to download - so you'll need to have a wired connection in order for Mint to automatically install it for you. (The alternative is to download it yourself, copy it to media, and then install it manually from that.)

Once wifi is running a few moments later you won't need a wired connection again.

kyrathaba:
Sounds like Mint Cinnamon is your best bet, Mrfwishy.

rgdot:
Just to add my recent experience .... Mint and Realtek is a hassle though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version