ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does "OS Transition" software exist?

(1/2) > >>

MamasBoy:
Profile: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) on a Dell Studio XPS 9100 with 24 GB of  DIMM RAM. Due to consistent .dll error messages(primarily mssprxy.dll), Dell Support technicians have advised me that my .dll problems are the result of software corruption of an unknown source, and have advised me to format my local hard drive and re-install Windows 7.

Question 1: Is there software I could use to make the OS transition less onerous? In other words, does software exist that would catalog my current programs so re-installation wouldn't be the nightmare it currently is? (I've already purchased Recover Keys)

Question 2: Does diagnostic software exist that I could use to confirm the Dell analysis?

Question 3: I don't know what I was thinking when I purchased 24 GB of RAM. How can I determine if it's all being used?

(Thank you in advance. This is a very helpful forum. I urge visitors to actively support it)

Paul Keith:
There are image backup software like ShadowProtect. You need a much larger external storage though.

There are also some Linux operating systems like Mint that has a pre-installed Backup software like Mint Backup which basically just monitors and copies files you want. These can't tweak with installed software though.

rjbull:
Question 1: Is there software I could use to make the OS transition less onerous? In other words, does software exist that would catalog my current programs so re-installation wouldn't be the nightmare it currently is? (I've already purchased Recover Keys)-MamasBoy (September 11, 2011, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if this's what you mean: Bits du Jour has periodically offered programs that claim to be able to (relatively) painlessly migrate your application software between OSs, so you don't have to reinstall as such and set eveything up again.  I haven't tried them.  One of the ones they mention is PCmover.

MamasBoy:
Thank you. I'll look into PCMover.

Curt:
Don't do it!    ...at least not yet.

Please first tell if you have the installation DVD with SP1?  :tellme:

-----
By-the-way-Info about the mssprxy:

Static Linking:
mssprxy.dll is statically linked to the following files:
RPCRT4.dll, msvcrt.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-Interlocked-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-LibraryLoader-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-Memory-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-Misc-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessThreads-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-Profile-L1-1-0.dll, API-MS-Win-Core-SysInfo-L1-1-0.dll, OLEAUT32.dll

This means that when mssprxy.dll is loaded, the above files are automatically loaded too. If one of these files is corrupted or missing, mssprxy.dll won't be loaded.

http://www.win7dll.info/mssprxy_dll.html
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version