ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (11/14) > >>

IainB:
@cmpm: That's a welcome and very positive approach, though I must admit, I had to think a bit before I could shift my paradigms to perceive what you describe as your perception, but I think I get it now, more or less.
If I may ask, does your perception of the meaning of the Caduceus affect you in your progress through life - or your own philosophy of life?

Where you say:
Mythology is an offshoot of truths and lies.
So I look beyond that, although it does offer insight.
Being based on other things, the mythological view is not the original intent.
But points to some definite facts that they are based on.

--- End quote ---
- it caused me to think of the Swastika.

Having been brought up on WW2 documentaries, I used to feel slightly sick at the sight of that emblem, until - years ago - I saw it painted very large on the side of a Thai Buddhist temple. After a little investigation, I realised that the symbol is named in Sanskrit as "svastika" or something, and represented extreme good luck and wellbeing. As I learned to speak Thai, I gathered that one theory on the etymology of "Sawat dee" (a polite formal greeting) was that it was derived from a corruption of "Svastik dee" ("dee" means literally "good"), so "Sawat dee" might be something of a tautological "Have a really good good luck day".

wraith808:
Having been brought up on WW2 documentaries, I used to feel slightly sick at the sight of that emblem, until - years ago - I saw it painted very large on the side of a Thai Buddhist temple.
-IainB (September 21, 2011, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would have been strange if you saw an actual swastika on the side of a buddhist temple.  The swastika itself is an aberration- a reversed symbol from the one actually used, so the symbol should have been a reversed swastika, i.e. the original symbol...

daddydave:
But it began with the staff of Moses
-cmpm (September 18, 2011, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I had always thought, based on this passage from the Bible. So I was going to say, I was way off, but honestly have no clue. I will read the links given and try to educate myself.

Numbers 21:4-9
New International Version (NIV)

The Bronze Snake
 4 They traveled from Mount Hor along the route to the Red Sea,[a] to go around Edom. But the people grew impatient on the way; 5 they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!”
 6 Then the LORD sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7 The people came to Moses and said, “We sinned when we spoke against the LORD and against you. Pray that the LORD will take the snakes away from us.” So Moses prayed for the people.

8 The LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.

--- End quote ---

Maybe just coincidence, and I linked them together in my mind.

tomos:
Having been brought up on WW2 documentaries, I used to feel slightly sick at the sight of that emblem, until - years ago - I saw it painted very large on the side of a Thai Buddhist temple.
-IainB (September 21, 2011, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would have been strange if you saw an actual swastika on the side of a buddhist temple.  The swastika itself is an aberration- a reversed symbol from the one actually used, so the symbol should have been a reversed swastika, i.e. the original symbol...
-wraith808 (September 21, 2011, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

well, the name swastika, is used for the original symbol and the nazi version [edit] am I nit-picking :-[ [/edit]

BTW I've seen swastikas (original) incorporated within Christian crosses, in medieval Irish Christian stone crosses, and tombstones. (Presumably it was also used elsewhere in Europe by Christians).
More info (wikipedia) [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika]Swastika

cmpm:
@IainB

If I may ask, does your perception of the meaning of the Caduceus affect you in your progress through life - or your own philosophy of life?
--- End quote ---

No not really, it's just a picture or representation of what we see in our mind's eye.
There are many.

You don't have to be a "Christian" to have Christ or the Spirit.
Christ is just a word, there are many that depict the same thing.
Buddhism ,Tao, Hindu, whatever name they give the spirit we all have.

Some think some have it and others don't.
Spirit/God/Christ-whatever you want to call it.
Not me, and that doesn't make me a 'Universalist' either.
Too many folks want to label you one thing or another.
And include or exclude you for their own ego.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version