ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (7/14) > >>

daddydave:
It doesn't appear from that link that they are similar, but maybe I'm reading it wrong?
-wraith808 (September 12, 2011, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's my fault for not citing the relevant portion.

Erdoğan was elected Mayor of Istanbul in the local elections of 27 March 1994. He was banned from office and sentenced to a prison term for reciting text (""The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers....") from a poem during a public address in the province of Siirt on 12 December 1997. The poem was allegedly quoted from a book published by a state enterprise and one that had been recommended to teachers by the Ministry of Education, but the lines recited do not appear in the original poem.[1][2][3]

--- End quote ---

So the politician actually spent time in jail for quoting that poem, or rather, making up the quote to that poem. repeating part of the poem that apparently was not in the original. This makes sense in light of the fact that Turkey, despite being a majority-Muslim state, is pretty vigilant about keeping religion out of politics. In this case, it raises free speech concerns, but you can't have everything.  ;)

But now, having read it more carefully, I'm curious if somehow he got away with reciting it again after he became prime minister. So I may not be completely right. I've probably gone too far off topic though, so I'll shut up for this thread and suggest a new thread if needed.

wraith808:
And it seems that he was citing something that wasn't there in order to incite violence?  At least from the charges... so I don't think they're really similar.

IainB:
app103, wraith808, and daddydave: You were joking by making the separate comments you did, above, re the quote about "The mosques are our barracks...etc." - right?
You had me confuzzled at first, but then I saw the humour.    ;D

daddydave:
And it seems that he was citing something that wasn't there in order to incite violence?  At least from the charges... so I don't think they're really similar.
-wraith808 (September 12, 2011, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll take one last stab at this. I'm simply agreeing with app that citing a line from a poem which is loosely associated with a religion is a very poor basis for disallowing the building of a structure by members of that religion. Beyond that, I don't care, or it's a choice of either declaring it a self evident truth or writing a 10 page essay, and I don't have time for it, nor am I as eloquent as app.

[unnecessary comment where I utterly failed to clarify my point of view, deleted by author]

cmpm:
i think this fits here in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMla61cOMtc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version