ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (2/14) > >>

Renegade:
I can't help but cry inside for the people affected by 911. I've lost people that I care about, and the evil there is simply incomprehensible.

Off topic
Since September 11th, 2001, almost 60,000,000 children under the age of 5 have STARVED to death.

EDIT: Deleted most of the post. I was posting drunk again... :(

mahesh2k:
NSFCM

SpoilerNot suitable for conservative mind.

There are plenty of blasts still going on in my country. Death count is 10x times 911 event. Media is just giving too much attention to 911. It's not even worth attention as politicians are involved in it. Obama and other folks asking us to buy weapons from them or buy US security. Looks like iron-man plot to me. Create terrorist with religious delusion, disturb peaceful countries with the help of UN, create anti-terrorism mindset and sell them weapons. Keep things burning all the time and let the cashflow in. I do see very minor percentage of religious terrorism these days. All that is left now is either politically handled blasts or "politics+religious monopoly+natural resource manipulation"- motivation behind such stuff. People are dying almost everyday due to some form of terrorism. Life goes on.

Shades:
@Renegade
SpoilerNot to be a ball breaker or demeaning the horrible deaths of all these children, but the number you quote is 6 million Jews murdered, the total count is over 10 million. The Nazi's thought even lower of Gypsies/Romanos). The most horrific medical atrocities doctor Joseph Mengele did, was with these people.

mouser:
Following up on what others have suggested, one thing i have never understood is how one rationalizes and makes sense of something like the "9/11 Victim Compensation Fund".

Essentially, each family of someone killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks received money from the government which averaged "$2 million tax free".

I cannot wrap my head around the difference in the way we treated families of victims of 9/11 compared to how we treat victims of equally traumatic deaths and injuries.

If your spouse was killed instantly in the 9/11 attacks you get 2 million dollars from the government fund, a national memorial and day of morning, and a huge national support system.  If your spouse is raped and tortured and murdered by a serial killer you get nothing.  I just don't get that.

I'm not trying to be heartless -- I'm not begrudging anyone or trying to take away anyone's pain.  It just seems like yet another example of how reactions to this event have not been rational or proportionate given all of the other cases of death and suffering, both inside and outside of the US.

Edit:
Perhaps some of the explanation for why the 9/11 event felt like something especially traumatic has to do with how we can imagine the fear that so many people went through -- the visceral gut-level fear and panic of being trapped in a giant skyscraper that is on fire.  It's hard to imagine too many intensely scarier things that could happen to you.

KynloStephen66515:
Its strange how no matter what country you live in, this is one of the events you remember EXACTLY what you was doing.

I remember being dragged into my friends house, whom I had just knocked on his door to borrow a lighter off him...just in time to see the second plane hit.  Our hearts sunk, it was horrible to watch.

RIP all those lost.

As for all the conspiracy theories...Even if it was Aliens...Even if the government did blow the buildings up themselves...even if the Earth randomly got bored one day and decided to eat entire buildings for the sheer fun of it.......people still died...

You make for interesting reads though...keep up the good story telling skills xD

@mouser - I completely agree...they treated this event like it was the only bad thing to happen in the world...ever...which is stupid...plenty of worse things have happened...

This "Event" should be put in the past.  Things 10x worse have happened since, and nobody seems to care.

This year alone, we have had major Earthquakes in Japan, Hurricanes, Volcanoes, and countless other deaths through people-driven killings....Do they get massive media attention for years?  No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version