topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [The Bat!] How to change displayed email address?  (Read 13642 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[The Bat!] How to change displayed email address?
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:35 PM »
For my main email, I use a forwarding service address, which is the email address I give to people.  And the underlying actual email address I like to keep hidden as much as possible.  So in my reply-to field, I have the forwarding address shown.  How do I have my forwarding address shown in my "From" field in emails I send out?  I looked at the emails I'm sending, and it's putting my actual address there instead of the forwarding address.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [The Bat!] How to change displayed email address?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I'm assuming you've already figured this out, but if not--
Account -> Properties -> General -- change the "From" address, as opposed to the reply-to address.  You can also specifiy unique from/reply/etc. on a per folder, per address-book entry, etc. basis.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 09:40 PM »
sorry off-topic, but can this be done with Courier email as well?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:35 PM »
I can assure you the from address can be changed, it's probably under your account's settings or else, perhaps if there's a 'profile' section there -- I've never used it.  As for different from addresses for different folders/recipients, I doubt it -- but anything is possible.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:55 PM »
OK Bat lovers, what am I missing if Thunderbird works for me?  I'm OK w/ the bird, but it has a few nits.

Does the Bat have junk mail filters?  Can it check all my 5 email accounts with one click?

Do we still have a DC Discount for it?

Thanks for letting me be lazy :)
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:37 AM »
Does the Bat have junk mail filters?
yes, though not the best; but it does have one of the very best customizable regular expression filtering engine so you can auto sort and filter stuff to your hearts delight.

Can it check all my 5 email accounts with one click?
yes. one of the reasons so many of us love thebat is how well it works with tons of email addresses; i probably have 15 or 20.

Do we still have a DC Discount for it?
yes, 50% off.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04 AM »
OK Bat lovers, what am I missing if Thunderbird works for me?  I'm OK w/ the bird, but it has a few nits.

Thunderbird is a -good- mail client, especially for the price.  Think of it as a screwdriver you got free for a store promotional or something.  The Bat! is a power drill.  It does everything Thunderbird (or anything else) can do +++.

Does the Bat have junk mail filters?  Can it check all my 5 email accounts with one click?

TB doesn't have a built in junk mail filter, it has support for plugins.  That said, there are a few alternative plugins available as well.  I'm presently testing out a 12$ shareware spam filter, antispamservant, to see how it stacks up.  Thus far, I'm very impressed with its bayesian implementation.

As for checking all your accounts with one click, yes.  F2, by default -- though all keyboard shortcuts are configurable.

Some highlight features -- scheduler. You can have TB automatically back itself up, send messages at a certain date (It sends birthday wishes to my family, so I can forget with a clear conscience).  Templates -- TB has the most powerful template system available.  The advanced template editing has a bit of a learning curve, though.

Eh, I can't list all the features.  The real great thing is, if you can imagine it there's a good chance TB can do it -- whether it's specifying different signatures/from address/templates/bcc's etc. on a per user, per list or per folder basis or just inserting a random quote in your sig, TB does it.

As for dealing with your multiple accounts, it has great virtual folder support -- so you could filter messages from all your accounts into virtual folders sorting mail by topic rather than account -- if you had a use for such a thing.

The drawback is documentation . . . rather, lack thereof.  The documentation is terrible.

vikinguf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09 PM »
To set which email to use in Thunderbird...

Use the Thunderbird Add-on called "Correct Identity". Download the file from Thunderbird.

To install it, go to: Tools > Add-ons > [Install]. To use after it's installed go to: Tools > Add-ons > [Correct Identity] > [Options].