ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have apps in the System tray?

<< < (32/41) > >>

Curt:
Process Explorer only eats CPU when the CPU history graph column is onscreen, and only then is it noticible when the System Idle process graph is scrolling.  Put that column all the way to the left and resize columns so it is off screen, and you will see PE take less than 1% of CPU.

C
-cthorpe (May 12, 2007, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I knew it was too bad to be true. Of course Process Explorer will not use too much CPU - if you set it right. :-) But what you are telling me implies that PEx only uses this much CPU when it is displaying the window, not when it is merely an icon in the tray. I have removed all the fancy displaying of this and that, and will now again set PEx to start with Windows, because it really is an must have app in the system tray.
And I will relax, knowing that Process Explorer of course not uses too much CPU. :-) New link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Thanks, Carl.  :up:

[Edit: Process Explorer's CPU usage is now 1½% when the window is open]
Process Explorer :-*  -f0dder (April 26, 2007, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
-Curt (May 12, 2007, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Grorgy:
Thanks for that tip on nvidia stuff cthorpe, i dont use those advanced features either, unless im fiddling lol, and getting rid of it all has speeded up startup and general responsiveness quite a bit  :)   

cthorpe:
Process Explorer only eats CPU when the CPU history graph column is onscreen, and only then is it noticible when the System Idle process graph is scrolling.  Put that column all the way to the left and resize columns so it is off screen, and you will see PE take less than 1% of CPU.
C
-cthorpe (May 12, 2007, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should have said put the history graph all the way to the right.

lanux128:
Curt, why not use a dedicated cpu usage monitoring system instead of running Process Explorer 24/7? just a suggestion.. :)

Darwin:
Thanks for clarifying that Carl - I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to accomplish it! This is great because PE was consuming 15-27% of my CPU before! Tamed quite nicely now. Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version