ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have apps in the System tray?

<< < (24/41) > >>

f0dder:
Process Explorer :-*

IMHO the most important figure is "Private Bytes" - this is the amount of memory the process has actually allocated that cannot be shared with other processes. So if memory is trimmed, this is how much that'll end up paged out to disk.

Working set is still important though, as it's the memory that "is recently been touched", and thus should be kept in memory. If you look closely at memory stats after running, say, trimws :), you will often see working set size jumping way down, only to rise by 100+ kb after a split second.

Curt:
So I have added "private bytes" to the view. I never understood before what that is...
- thanks for yet another explanation!  :up:

And the answer is "5 MB private bytes".

Curt:
DISCLAIMER:

M8 Free Clip features:

This is VERY embarrassing to me: Guess what, these links (Form Filling, Internet Bookmarks, Dial, e-mail, and Run/Open) are teasers to get you to buy the $$ version (M8 Spartan); the Free Clip can not do all this! But, as I wrote in another post, I do not want my clipboard to boil my eggs, I just want it to manage the clips, so I never tested if it really could do all this. And it can't.

Big time SORRY!   :-[

Spartan has all the features you would expect, clip preview, sound, keyboard only pasting, automatic web bookmarks, automatic email addressing, form filling, web logon, phone dialing, program launch, and bulk paste. It pastes graphic clips directly into Outlook Express ( You can even have it automatically reduce large photos) and it has onboard editors for both text and graphic clips. It even includes its own built in backup and restore system to keep your clip files safe.
--- End quote ---

dantheman:
Not a problem Curt!

If the program does what it promises, then that's just fine to me.
I can boil my own eggs.   :P

Curt:
 :-[  When I'm stressed I'm tending to post too hasty - and I'm stressed right now: For two days we have been serving several hundred people more than usual, at work. Re-reading my "disclaimer" I can now see that becuse of my poor wording, I have yet again given the wrong impression: The M8 Free Clip WILL DO all these tricks! But the author removed the permanent memory part, meaning that these smart links will 'roll off' as soon as you add new clips, and so be almost worthless. Teasing only.

Hope I got it right this time...  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version