ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have apps in the System tray?

<< < (18/41) > >>

f0dder:
Curt, if you're too lazy to open a cmd.exe console, save the following in a batch file in the same folder as trimws (call it dothefunkytrimmingyeahyeah.bat or whatever ;) )

--- ---@echo off
trimws.exe *

Would be pretty easy to cook up a version that does trim-all-processes and doesn't require commandline, and I could fit that in 4k or less :)

urlwolf:
Anyway, here's a process working set size trimmer I wrote.

It's a command-line tool supporting wildcards, so you can do "trimws *" to trim all processes, or "trimws fir*" to trim (among others) firefox. Not that in the "*" case it'll mention a lot of errors, that's because system services are protected (and I'm not doing anything to circumvent that :) ).

I wrote this while looking into trillians "low memory usage", and just upgraded it to have wildcard support.

I still don't think using a tool like this blindly is a good idea, but at least this one is free, comes with source code, is tiny, and is a one-shot thing rather than a stupid bloated keep-running app.

-f0dder (April 18, 2007, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks F0dder, I did try your trimmer, and it works :)
The only problem is that VM cannot be de-allocated, which is the big problem for me. I don't want to have to use the pagefile, as it implies disk writing and slows down the system.

I have 1Gb, and as soon as PF usage goes above 1024mb in the process explorer, I *guess* my system has to go down in performance (I didn't check; I try not to go above that).

Actually having foobar, excel, R, and Acrobat open can take you close to the limit! 1Gb is not that much for today's standards!

Are my beliefs correct? (you shalt not go above your physical mem.)?

Curt:
Curt, if you're too lazy to open a cmd.exe console,... -f0dder (April 19, 2007, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are cute  8)

How to help someone use a computer.

First you have to tell yourself some things:

(...)

Beginners face a language problem: they can't ask questions because they don't know what the words mean, they can't know what the words mean until they can successfully use the system, and they can't successfully use the system because they can't ask questions.

(...) http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/ -Phil Agre
--- End quote ---

Are we talking about "kør"? - or maybe right click in Explorer > "Command prompt here"? - or Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Kommandoprompt ? What is a batch file? How do you create such one? What is it you have shown here inside these "code" -boxes? Is it any different from normal text? Did you think the words below my avatar was a joke?

;)

I am quite happy with people writing programs that will do the stuff themselves.

f0dder:
Oh, sorry, I actually did think your avatar tagline was a joke - hope I haven't offended you :-[

Right-click "command prompt here" is quite the easiest, but "stat->kør cmd.exe" would work as well (you'd have to "cd path\where\trimws.exe\is\saved" afterwards, though). A batch file is basically just a list of statements that you could enter in cmd.exe.

You create a batch file by saving a (plain ascii, as produced by notepad or other "pure text" editors) text file and giving it .bat instead of .txt extension. The stuff in the code box was for copy-pasting into notepad and saving to a .bat file... all it does is run "trimws *", which means "trim all processes" - the "@echo off" part is just so it doesn't echo the commands being executed to the console.

I can cook up an "autotrim" version for you if you'd like, but it'll be after tonight's work at post.dk is done.

Curt:
.. - hope I haven't offended you -f0dder (April 19, 2007, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

On the contrary; I was soo pleased: Have I really managed to hide my ignorance that well?...  :)

I can cook up an "autotrim" version for you if you'd like, but it'll be after tonight's work at post.dk is done. -f0dder (April 19, 2007, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

No hurry, please: I've managed to stay without for several years!
- but sure; an autotrim version would be wonderful  :-*

All you folks out there:
Do you see why this site is such a good place to be?!!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version