ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have apps in the System tray?

<< < (8/41) > >>

f0dder:
Free Ram XP Pro - http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
Freeware application to free and optimize your computer's RAM (Random Access Memory), resulting in an increase in system performance and productivity. Automatically configures itself for ease of use and also features advanced options and customizability.
-scruffdaddy (March 25, 2006, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hrm, these programs JUST DON'T WORK. Period. All they do is to page stuff out. Pay heed to the wisdom of FreeBSD: "unused RAM is wasted RAM". The memory defragmenters, cleaners, et cetera are nothing but system pessimizers...

Darwin:
Sadly, I've spent a FORTUNE over the years on various applications that claim to do either of two things: clean my registry or optimize my RAM. I don't run any of them anymore. I've been uninstalling fluff from my systems and am in the ongoing process of carefully evaluating what I have running/installed. Part of that process includes thinking hard about the real benefits that I have seen from using the application. With both classes of applications I can't think of any! In the case of registry optimizers, the only effects that I remember are those times when I had to run system restore/restore a disk image because the registry cleaner was overzealous in scrubbing my registry and renedered my system unstable or knocked out an application. I certainly can think of no time when performance was noticeably improved following a registry clean and reboot.

With RAM optimizers, I've come to realise that I became addicted to the little graph/numerical display in my system tray telling me how much RAM I had free and the "thrill" of seeing the amount of free RAM increase. I guess it gave me a sense of control over my system. That's about it, though. Thinking hard about the benefits - the improvements in performance - I just can remember any. Before uninstalling the latest of the RAM optimizer I spent a week experimenting with running it or not and finally came to conclusion that really the only thing that it did for me is to make me fixate on how much RAM I have free! Whether I have 600 MB or 250 MB free doesn't seem to make any difference in performance and I don't miss running an optimizer at all. In fact, I feel released from the constant visual report about the state of my RAM. Never think about it now...

My final point isn't really a point. Here's a link to what Fred Langa has to say on the subject of memory optimization:

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-12-16.htm#2

and a teaser for Mark Russinovich's opinion here (unless you have a subscription to windowsitpro):

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41095&pg=2

brotherS:
Free Ram XP Pro - http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
Freeware application to free and optimize your computer's RAM (Random Access Memory), resulting in an increase in system performance and productivity. Automatically configures itself for ease of use and also features advanced options and customizability.
-scruffdaddy (March 25, 2006, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to believe in this tool too... now I second what has been said about it above. A better vmem config really does work better.

f0dder:
Registry cleaners are ho-humm too. Registry lookups are very efficient in NT because of the way the structures are stored, so you won't get much performance just because there's "fewer keys to look through" (even if this was the case, consider that you'd probably remove only a few hundred of the many thousand existing keys).

What you can really benefit from, though, is to make sure your registry is 100% defragmented... oh, and there might be some benefit related to COM object cleanup too...

wreckedcarzz:
Off topic a bit...
Windows Security Alert (i'd like to get rid of this, but can't...)
-lanux128 (March 14, 2006, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually you can get rid of that annoying shield...
Open it up and click on the last option in the left hand side's little box, and uncheck all the boxes (3 of them). Ta-da!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version