ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?

<< < (9/13) > >>

nowshining:

I bought my copy of XP bundled OEM with a new harddrive (?!?!) so I guess as long as my harddrive holds out, so does my license? I've transferred my XP twice now (about 3 weeks ago was the last one) and they've always given me a new activation. Over the phone, even.

--- End quote ---

As far as i know this user agreement already is a bit old, and not if ur hardrive goes out u still can use the OEM's disk on your computer, its just the motherboard. and ur lucky, i could never tranfer a licence on this xp installation oem disk they said the numbers i had didn't exist (really they did)..so I am stuck, however this optiplex gx300 takes the disk without any activation key, noting the disk did come with a newer pc than mine as i was stuck with only 98 and 98SE that came with it and was surprised i didn't have to activate the OEM disk on this ol' pentium 3 733mhz thing..hehehe. ;)

f0dder:
does drm really have anything to do with windows vista? i mean whatever drm technologies they add to drm will surely be added to the media player software, etc.  its not like the operating system is going to make the drm situation better or worse one way or the other as far as i know.

--- End quote ---
It sure IS going to make a difference once palladium-enabled systems pop up... you feel like installing and booting another operating system? no-go, if it's not "approved". You'll have hardware + OS enforced DRM. Want to play DRM music? Sure thing, unless you're trying to play to an analog output or a digital output connected to an "insecure" device.

They might not get it right with the first edition of Vista and Palladium, just like the pretty strong original XBOX encryption was defeated too. But there's some VERY scary perspectives here, which (as usual) is going to hit the legit end-users a lot harder than the pirates. This time it's for real, *hard* OS and and hardware enforced restrictions on what you can do with YOUR hardware.

But I really don't understand what folks mean when they say 'Linux sucks' and I fire up my box and have no problems. Really, none. Sure it's been a long and many times hard road. Giving the details would make for a really long post.

--- End quote ---
It would be an equivalently long post if I was going to ratify "why linux sucks". I'm pretty familiar with linux and BSD and don't have trouble managing either. But no way in hell I could be bothered running any of these for my desktop. There's simply too many annoyances, quirks, and really boring trivial things you have to do manually.

I would encourage giving Mac a try. BSD under the hood can't be a bad thing and I predict great things happening in Mac-land, especially since being ported to Intel chipsets and Mac Minis making it affordable.

--- End quote ---
Yup, BSD + MACH + NeXT under the hood == not a bad thing indeed. I'm not all too happy with the move to intel hardware since there's so much crappy legacy with the x86 system. But oh well, it should make things more affordable. Just hope that Apple won't go as DRM-crazy as MS are... and that applications will support three-button mice in a comfortable way, I've always hated the one-button-and-keyboard-modifiers approach that Macs used to have.

As for OEM XP versions, there are a few different ways that this works. If you buy eg a DELL PC, you have one form of OEM. This is hardware tied to some strings in your BIOS, so you can only use that OEM with DELL computers. If you buy a piece-of-hardware + OEM XP, that copy will not be hardware tied, and you'll have the usual "you can change 3 pieces of hardware before you need to call the toll-free MS number and explain why so much hardware has changed and get your 25-digit unlock code". Christ I'm glad I have a corporate/VLK version.

zridling:
I intend to wait until I upgrade to my next computer, and thus have a fresh start with Vista. As others have noted, XP is so stable at this point that I'm neither compelled nor anxious to switch. However, Microsoft Office 12 could change everything.

Cpilot:
This thread is moot for now.
Vista debut hits a delay

Carol Haynes:
Microsoft Office 12 could change everything.
-zridling (March 21, 2006, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why - will it add anything people want?

I splashed out on an Office XP upgrade when it came out and was really disappointed as it didn't seem to add anything useful on top of Office 2000 (except activation which is a pain). I haven't bothered with Office 2003 because almost all reviews I read said unless you use it in a coroporate environment there isn't much new (except Outlook has a new layout). There is going to have to be a very good reason for me to upgrade again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version