ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?

<< < (8/13) > >>

Carol Haynes:
vista not only has software drm, it also has hardware drm, and everytime you change the motherboard, you need to purchase a new windows licence.
-kimmchii (March 19, 2006, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hadn't seen this - are you seriously saying that any change of mobo (even a failure) means you lose your copy of Vista completely?

I seem to remember MS saying you couldn't move XP from one machine to another because activation wouldn't let you. In practice you can reactivate XP as often as you like on as many machines as you like provided you allow 90 days between activations. Even simpler is to phone MS and tell them your machine is hosed and you have bought a new one. If your license isn't OEM there isn't a problem moving XP.

I find it hard to believe that MS would be stupid enough to lock non-OEM Vista to one set of hardware and force the purchase of a new license when a chip blows. If they are planning this then they are seriously shooting themselves in the foot as a lot of computer enthusiasts simply won't do it, and businesses probably won't either once support staff spot the issue.

"Oh it's not working, nasty burning smell, oh I see it is just that 50 cent chip - just a tick I'll just swap your mobo - by the way, have you got a credit card it'll cost you $400 for a new license for Windows?"

mrainey:
Is it just me that finds these comments slightly offensive?
--- End quote ---

It does take away from my enjoyment of the forum when I come across stuff like this.

kimmchii:
I hadn't seen this - are you seriously saying that any change of mobo (even a failure) means you lose your copy of Vista completely?
-Carol Haynes (March 20, 2006, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

sorry for the wrong info, i think the new licence agreement applies to XP as well.

2/15/2006 Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence

Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing” that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul” of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

and http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/.

Edvard:
Too bad linux SUCKS, with a kernel designed by people who mentally live in the 70'es. The "user-friendly" distros are even more bloated than XP.

I guess I'll give Mac OS X a try, it's the only decent realistic alternative to windows for desktop use.
-f0dder (March 18, 2006, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eek, OS war ahead! (Umm... just kidding)
When I said Linux, I meant that as an answer to the question "How long will it take ...". Meaning never. I have decided that with Vista, I'm done trying to keep up with Windows. I certainly can't afford it and buying hardware based on whether it is compatible with Linux beats having to buy a whole new system because Microsoft decides to touch-up their paint job. Actually, Microsoft has done a good job to build a computing platform that is easy to use and available anywhere you care to look, runs 80-90% of the available software on the web, and MOST of the time requires a minimum of tweaking to "Just Work", sure I'll give 'em that. But I really don't understand what folks mean when they say 'Linux sucks' and I fire up my box and have no problems. Really, none. Sure it's been a long and many times hard road. Giving the details would make for a really long post. The bottom line is, it seems MS have successfully achieved a certain level of power vs. ease of use (which I think they did a mighty fine job of doing with W2K, why'd they have to go and ruin it?...) but it seems like now they are just piling on the sugar and MSG and making you pay for it. It's like wanting bagels, getting frosted donuts, getting charged for cream filled puff pastries and asked to sign up for the "Eclair of the month" club (for a hefty fee, of course) and ending up with a craving to make your own damn bagels after wiping the chocolate sprinkles off your face. I would encourage giving Mac a try. BSD under the hood can't be a bad thing and I predict great things happening in Mac-land, especially since being ported to Intel chipsets and Mac Minis making it affordable.

@kimmchii and Carol,
Also, you should check into the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance and what they are attempting to do...
https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/home
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing_Platform_Alliance
http://www.againsttcpa.com/

I bought my copy of XP bundled OEM with a new harddrive (?!?!) so I guess as long as my harddrive holds out, so does my license? I've transferred my XP twice now (about 3 weeks ago was the last one) and they've always given me a new activation. Over the phone, even.

Carol Haynes:
Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.-kimmchii (March 20, 2006, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a reasonable condition because the whole point of OEM is that it is tied to hardware. This shouldn't affect people who have faulty machines because presumably OEM manufacturers should do the decent thing and replace the computer (which will come with it's own OEM Windows).

After guarantee ends if the mobo dies then most people who buy computers will go out and buy a new one rather than replacing the mobo (even if they only buy a bare bones system).

Add to that OEM versions are often preinstalled and most vendors no longer supply an original MS Windows installer disc then it would mean it would be very difficult to even install Windows on the new mobo (unless it is an identical model - unlikely to be available after the guarantee period).

This isn't actually anything to do with DRM anyway which is to do with protecting the rights of companies who provide downloadable music and video, though presumably this could in time be extended to software downloads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version