ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?

<< < (5/13) > >>

Cpilot:
Draw your own conclusions to this one.
Hackers Get Windows XP on Apple Computers

;D

f0dder:
I won't use Vista until I absolutely have to. I don't like eyecandy in my OS, and it's one of the first things I turn off in XP (or rather, it used to be, before I set up a decent customized unattended install CD). All the eyecandy crap added to Vista + the DRM shit = no go, bro.

Too bad linux SUCKS, with a kernel designed by people who mentally live in the 70'es. The "user-friendly" distros are even more bloated than XP.

I guess I'll give Mac OS X a try, it's the only decent realistic alternative to windows for desktop use.

vegas:
Usually I wait AT LEAST 6 months on a new OS.  I think this time I will wait at least 3-4 years. I am perfectly happy with Windoze XP.  I don't even have a problem running Windows2000.

Cpilot:
I'm happy with WinXP also, and I do intend to wait a short amount of time after rollout on Vista also in order for the kinks to get ironed out. And I'll keep another box for a while with XP installed.
But I intend to move into it, issues or not.
DRM in one form or another is going to be out there in the future anyway, irregardless of Vista.
People mention it whenever a discussion of Vista comes up, with grave concern.
But after doing a search on this forum using the search terms DRM and Digital rights management I found 5 threads mentioning these 2 terms
here, here,here, here and here.
Now I read through em and while I saw a few dire warnings and predictions, I didn't see where anyone posted anything about anyone monitoring when and by whom any legislation concerning DRM is being proposed or voted on.
I would think that if it's that big of a concern then someone would be pointing out proposed legislation and encouraging the forum members (all 20,085, which ain't a trifle number) to become acquainted with who their congressmen and legislators are in order to email comments and objections.

The only real way to deal with it is to pay attention to the legislation being proposed and make your opinion known.
But since all anyone is talking about is dire warnings and predictions, instead of encouraging taking action, we might as well learn how to deal with it.

And personally I like the eye candy.....
It's the difference between a real woman and a slattern, I'd much rather look at an attractive woman than be repelled by a skank. :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
nudone - if you want the vista look check out WindowBlinds 5. You can have the look right now for $19.95... There are free icon packages that will convert all of your icons to the new Vista ones to boot (no pun intended). You'll likely wind up upgrading to the ObjectDesktop Suite to allow you to do all this (I did) but the results are really very impressive. I actually got bored of the Vista look/modifying my interface (of course, I'm on a two year old Centrino notebook with a 14" 4:3 monitor) and am back to where f0dder is (and I was for years before a brief 8 week interlude): WinXP in "classic" mode with themes turned off. It just feels "right"! Having said that, though, I am convinced that WB5 was much less resource intensive than M$ own themes service. As an aside, you can run WB5 without the themes service enabled - it handles all skinning duties.

My WB 5 licence is gathering dust... I was impressed with it but finally uninstalled it when I realized that the ONLY reason I had it was for the Vista look and once I got over that there was no point keeping it around. I found that I really wasn't interested in trying out the various available themes ("blinds"). In fact, I had occasion last week to restore a drive image that still had it installed and couldn't bear the look of the Vista theme (though the theme itself was fantastically executed and sadly not available anymore - M$ lawyers had it pulled).

Anyway, just my two bits - you can have the Vista look right now for about $20 ($50 if you go for the entire ObjectDesktop package which includes icon editor and changer).

Like many people here, the only way I'll be moving onto Vista is when I purchase a new computer. I imagine that Vista Sp-2 will out before I do that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version