ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?

<< < (10/13) > >>

ToxMox:
I intend to switch to Vista within a day or two of it coming out.

I am HP-UX BTW:

Darwin:
From what I've seen and read in reviews on the web, the three main "imrovements" are new file formats based on xml, pdf support, and the replacement of the menu/toolbar with 'ribbons' that change content/format contextually. As I already have full pdf support courtesy of Nuance PDF Converter Pro (and have an old copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro 5 kicking around to boot) I don't see much that would compel me to upgrade, either. Don't get me wrong; I'd *like* to upgrade because I'm addicted to having the latest, greatest version of each package on my machine, but having just splashed out for Office 2003 Pro I can't justify more money anytime soon. The UI for 2003 is sufficiently different from that for 2000 that it's still "novel" (though I don't notice much difference in comparison to 2000).

I suppose the impetus to upgrade will come from the new file formats - if I find that *everyone* is using them, I may be forced to upgrade. Somehow, though, I think that they'll be putting out Office 14+ before this really becomes an issue. If it happens before then, there is always Open/StarOffice, which I am sure will support the new formats very quickly after Office 12 is released into the wild...

Just my 2-bits.

Darwin:
I may upgrade to Vista sooner than I thought: my primary notebook is getting on for three years old and they've just delayed Vista's release again. I have a feeling that I'll be looking for a new notebook this time next year, which seems to be about when Vista will be out so I'll likely wind up with it installed by the manufacturer... Unless, of course I go full hog down the OS-X route. That's doubtful as I already have an older iBook running Jaguar and while I *like* it, I don't see anything compelling enough to make me want to make the shift away from Windows. It's likely my greater familiarity with Windows, but I STILL feel that I am more in control of my machine and "user experience" under Windows than I am using OS-X (or 9.22, which I have runing on an old iMac). I am in the minority camp that can see the strengths and weaknesses of both OS's, rather than ranting and raving about the inherent superiority of one over the other (in the wild there seem to be more raving Mac fanatics... than raving Windows lunatics ;)).

f0dder:
I dunno how much the new XML-based file formats will really matter. Sure, XML is easier to parse than a binary format, but afaik Microsoft decided not to make the necessary schemas open after all. WinFS and other "interesting" things were dropped anyway, which is probably good since they didn't really make much sense and would have made the system even more bloated than it's already going to be.

Carol Haynes:
From what I've seen and read in reviews on the web, the three main "imrovements" are new file formats based on xml, pdf support, and the replacement of the menu/toolbar with 'ribbons' that change content/format contextually.
-Darwin (March 22, 2006, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

So long as the new version will still read and write files from older Office versions (and on past performance it will) the XML formats won't make a huge difference to the average user. PDF is easily supported anyway - and I'd prefer to have an application independent solution such as Nitro PDF (actually I just upgraded to Adobe Design Suite CS2 so I have Acrobat Pro). Ribbons intead of toolbars? Sounds like another eyecandy issue ... as for context sensitive menus I always turn them off in Office otherwise I can never find the option I'm looking for!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version