ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

insightful post on gui design, and why it can be faster than the command line

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
http://blog.garlicsim.org/post/9875143930/guis-kick-clis-asses

Really, this is spot on.
Might be a good read for people here, who have to deal with GUIs and sometimes make their own.

tomos:
I dont know hardly anything about the command line; but using a piece of software intensively, I find the interface is extremely important.

So a very big +1 to the combination of a good GUI with good/flexible keyboard shortcuts  :up: :up:

JavaJones:
Good article. Lots of counter arguments in the comments, some of which are reasonable and valid, but mostly seem to just be CLI fans whinging about how much better CLIs are. I'd love to see an impartial productivity test between equivalent CLI and GUI systems for the same tasks. Obviously depending on the task one or the other would be better, but I'd be willing to bet at the least that there'd be no clear overall winner, it might even end up with the GUI winning. I don't see CLI winning overall though.

- Oshyan

steeladept:
I would bet you are right Oshyan.  I find a well defined and built GUI MUCH more productive than the command line, but due to unimplemented features for whatever reason, the command line tends to be more flexible/powerful.  This combination gives it it's only productivity boost over GUI in my opinion and that assumes you know all the commands, switches, etc.

If I were to guess based on my experience and totally partial testing ;D, I would say the GUI would win hands down as long as it is properly designed with all the same commands, switches, etc AND implemented with any/all common input methods available.  That means keyboard shortcuts as well as mouse interactions, and maybe even lightpen and/or touchscreen depending on the application and it's intended target platform(s).  It really is hard to compete with a button push using a mouse vs. a 25 character string....

JavaJones:
There's also gestures to consider. ;)

I think CLIs have a definite place, so for me it's more a matter of "what's the rite UI for the job?". The issue I have really is anyone casting one or the other as *the* better solution *all the time*. I just don't see how that can be true.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version