ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Batch m3u8 creator - similar to createm3u

<< < (8/13) > >>

Xennon:
How about the following playlist options:

1) recursive scan all sub-folders and create a playlist in each folder
2) recursive scan all sub-folders and create 1 playlist on root folder dragged in including all files scanned

-vital (May 05, 2014, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think option (1) already works .. drag the root folder onto the app and a playlist is created in each subfolder (if they contain media files).  I discovered this by accident.

Option (2) Would be handy and being able to combine multiple playlists into a single playlist would be nice too.

I noticed that moving the playlist from its original folder to another folder breaks the connection with the media files ... is that a design fault with the .m3u file format or is there some way to have the playlist record the actual path to the media so that moving the playlist does not break it?  Maybe there's a different playlist format that does note the media's path?

skwire:
How about the following playlist options:

1) recursive scan all sub-folders and create a playlist in each folder
2) recursive scan all sub-folders and create 1 playlist on root folder dragged in including all files scanned-vital (May 05, 2014, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

The first option is what the application already does.  I'll consider the second option.

I noticed that moving the playlist from its original folder to another folder breaks the connection with the media files ... is that a design fault with the .m3u file format or is there some way to have the playlist record the actual path to the media so that moving the playlist does not break it?  Maybe there's a different playlist format that does note the media's path?-Xennon (May 06, 2014, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not a design fault.  It's simply a generic filepath issue.  Basically, there are three ways to handle a file's path:

1) No path at all, just the filename.  Most applications then prepend the playlist's path to derive the actual location of the file.  Using this method allows you to move the folder of files anywhere and the playlist will still work.  However, as you've found, moving the playlist file breaks the pathing.

2) Relative paths.  That is, only the path relative to the playlist's location is saved.  Let's assume you have the following file:

c:\path\to\my\music\song.mp3

If you wanted to save the playlist file in:

c:\path\to

The relative path that would be saved in the playlist file would be:

my\music\song.mp3

As with the first option, an application will generally prepend the playlist's path to the exisiting relative path in order to derive the file locations.  This method allows you to move multi-level folders and have the playlist(s) still work.

3) Full paths.  That is, something like c:\path\to\my\music\song.mp3 would be saved to the playlist file.  This allows you to move the playlist files to wherever you'd like.  However, you now cannot move the files themselves without breaking the playlist.  For instance, let's assume you had need to move your collection from c:\ drive to d:\ drive.  With full paths, all your playlist files are now broken.

I hope that helps to explain things.  As you can see, there is no perfect solution.   :(

Xennon:

I hope that helps to explain things.  As you can see, there is no perfect solution.   :(
-skwire (May 06, 2014, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this does clear things up.  In that case, perhaps one solution might be to have an option to choose how to handle multiple sub-folders when creating a playlist.
eg: At the moment, dragging multiple folders onto the app creates 1 playlist in each folder - what if the user had the option to continue in this way (default) or to create 1 playlist in the root folder for all media contained in the sub-folders?  A checkbox/radio button toggle in the UI might work.

This option would allow for those situations where you may have your files organised per artist, with different album folders under that artist and you want to listen to that artist's full collection.

Just a thought.

skwire:
Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2014-06-21
    * Playlist contents are sorted now.  (Thanks, Stephane)

msteph:
I'd like to endorse vital's request for the option to create 1 playlist in the root folder for all the songs in the sub-folders.  This would seem to be the logical next improvement of an already terrific app.

For example, I have my New Age music collection, approximately 1000 songs, in subfolders according to the artist name, 116 artists.  If I drop the New Age folder onto the app it's going to create 116 m3u's in their respective folders, which is great - very useful. 

But I'd also like to, as would vital & Xennon, be able to create one playlist in the root folder that has all 1000 songs.  I do have a current m3u that has all those songs but I had to create it by copying each artist's songs into one big all-inclusive folder and then making the playlist.  Having sPlaylistMaker do that would have been an elegant solution and saved a lot of time.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version