ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo

<< < (31/63) > >>

Sascha:
I fully understand your reason!

Maybe a Tooltip will do the job (like Dittos F3) - it should be a preview - no more, no less :)

tranglos:
I fully understand your reason!

Maybe a Tooltip will do the job (like Dittos F3) - it should be a preview - no more, no less :)
-Sascha (January 19, 2012, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a possibility, although you cannot scroll a tooltip :) and it requires the mouse. Also, a tooltip would only show the "display text" part of a clip, which for larger clips may not be the complete text (depending on your settings).

I've been thinking about a read-only side panel that can be hidden if not used. Maybe even with an optional binary / hex view so that you can inspect all formats of a clip besides just the plain text.

And though I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel a need for some additional metadata on clips. Not necessarily categories or tags, and not a tree hierarchy at all - just some way of "naming" or describing clips to find them easier. For example, every month I pay my bills online and need to find and paste a bunch of bank account numbers. But I can't find them by their digits :) So it would help to name a clip "electricity bill account", "tax account" etc.

This text must of course be searchable and displayed somewhere, so it's a major addition. But if I decide to add that, then Echo will need a side panel anyway.

First though I need to work on that clip length bug :)

Sascha:
And though I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel a need for some additional metadata on clips. Not necessarily categories or tags, and not a tree hierarchy at all - just some way of "naming" or describing clips to find them easier. For example, every month I pay my bills online and need to find and paste a bunch of bank account numbers. But I can't find them by their digits :) So it would help to name a clip "electricity bill account", "tax account" etc.
-tranglos (January 19, 2012, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Clipmate has such a feature ;)

That's a possibility, although you cannot scroll a tooltip :) and it requires the mouse. Also, a tooltip would only show the "display text" part of a clip, which for larger clips may not be the complete text (depending on your settings).

I've been thinking about a read-only side panel that can be hidden if not used. Maybe even with an optional binary / hex view so that you can inspect all formats of a clip besides just the plain text.
-tranglos (January 19, 2012, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
You'll make the right decision ;) (the need of using a mouse is :down: )

tranglos:
Clipmate has such a feature ;)-Sascha (January 19, 2012, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I know. So does Mouser's Clipboard Help & Spell. Both are more suitable for long-term storage, where clips almost become notes. (I do recommend you check out CH&S if you haven't yet. If you store code snippets, that's probably long term, and CH&S may indeed be more suitable.)

Me, I think I should better keep these account numbers (etc.) in another application, maybe Evernote or something similar. CintaNotes is great, too (except for editing clips in a separate window).

It's a (somewhat :-) interesting philosophical question. What is the difference between a captured clip -  which is typically a transient, throw-away piece of data, and 99% of the time you won't cry if you lose it, and indeed you lose them all the time when you press Ctrl+C - and a note, which you think of as something permanent that you probably don't want to lose (and it probably has a title).

Applications that do clips and applications that do notes may look quite similar on the surface: categories to one side, list of items on the other; but the underlying philosophy is quite different. You would not have an automatic "purge database" function in a note taking app, for instance, but you do have it in a clipboard extender, because you don't want the database to continue growing forever, and search speed is more important than holding fifty thousand clips. In a note-taker, you may prefer to sacrifice some speed for the ability to hold all your life's notes in one archive. Or, you don't want a note-taker to capture clipboard, because it will accumulate a ton of useless trash, making it harder to find your important notes. And so on. So these philosophical issues translate into design decisions, and Echo is not a very good note-taker.

Sascha:
...Echo is not a very good note-taker
-tranglos (January 19, 2012, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
I do not need one - I need Echo as it is (with some small improvements) ;)
I mean to say that I do not need those note-taking features like renaming etc.

Echo should stay a lightweight application!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version