ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo

<< < (27/63) > >>

Sascha:
Found and fixed. I'll upload a new release by the end of the week, but for now you can just replace your ethervaneecho.exe with the one attached to this message.

--- End quote ---
Great support - thanks a lot!

possibility to configure the directory for saving the database
possibility to configure the directory for saving the application-settings (ini)

--- End quote ---
Could you explain why this would be useful? It'd help me design the best way to implement this. Echo already uses a fairly involved logic to figure out where to store the database and config (are we portable? Are we running from a removable drive? Is the removable drive read-only? etc.), and I have to be careful making any changes to these parts of the code.

--- End quote ---
I use some automatic mechanisms for my backups. Therefore I store all my application-configurartions in special folders.

Would it be sufficient if I added a command-line argument to specify the config and database directories? You could add it to the shortcut used to start Echo.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, that would be really nice :)

possibility to change shortcuts like F2

--- End quote ---
What would you use instead? I can easily add more than one shortcut for some functions. A complete keyboard customization would take more time. And there would be certain limitations, e.g. you cannot assign certain keys which are used when editing clips in-place or are necessary to navigate the tree, etc. It could be more trouble than it's worth.

--- End quote ---
I don't think it would be practicable to use more than one shortcut for one function. Let's leave it as that ;)

do not autopaste items on pressing enter - only copy them to the clipboard (like ctrl+shift+c)

--- End quote ---
Disable pasting entirely, or just swap the function of (Shift+)Enter and (Shift+)Ctrl+C?

--- End quote ---
I do not need that (I like what Ditto does). From my point of view you may disable it entirely ;) But I think i'll be better to make it customizable.

always show date and time for last saved items instead of e.g. "8 minutes ago"

--- End quote ---
Preferences -> Display -> Friendly dates -> set to False

--- End quote ---
Oops - I have overseen that - sorry.

Again - thanks for this wonderful application and that great support!

Sascha:
It's me again :)

It is possible now, to add file-formats to the list - but echo does not save items of those formats :(

I added cf_dib, cf_dibv5 and cf_bitmap. Those formats where listed on the 'Formats currently on clipboard'-List after copying a bitmap from my screenshot-tool.
But I am not able to change the text-only-property for those entries. It will always be reset to 'Yes'. Maybe that will be the reason.

(please see the attached screenshot)

tranglos:
I added cf_dib, cf_dibv5 and cf_bitmap. Those formats where listed on the 'Formats currently on clipboard'-List after copying a bitmap from my screenshot-tool.
But I am not able to change the text-only-property for those entries. It will always be reset to 'Yes'. Maybe that will be the reason.
-Sascha (January 12, 2012, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Sascha! I'm afraid I will disappoint you this time, but if you go back to the OP where Echo is described, you'll see that Echo only captures text (unlike Ditto). It's also mentioned at the top of the help file, though I should think of a way to make it even more pronounced.

More precisely, Echo can capture any format you define in that dialog box, but it will ignore clips that don't contain text as well. (And it is possible for clips to contain both text and bitmaps, e.g. Excel copies data like that). So Echo can capture cf_dib, but only if the clip contains cf_text or cf_unicodetext as well. Clips that don't have either of these formats are ignored, because Echo could not display them or search for them of they do not contain text.

This is a fundamental concept for the whole program, so it's not a feature I can add.

If you do need images, may I suggest you try Mouser's Clipboard Help and Spell? It captures all clips, including images, and is more suitable for storing clips long-term.

tranglos:
I had meant "double-click" in my original post.  In any event, your recommendation to select "sfPlainText" does not seem to work for me:  clips are still being pasted with original formatting rather than in plain text.  Unless you are aware of a bug with "sfPlainText", I suppose the problem may well be on my end.  I'm running Ethervane Echo in portable mode on a Win7 64bit machine.-jash (January 11, 2012, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

This should totally work. One thought: are you perhaps trying to paste a clip immediately after capturing it? If so, that may not work, because Echo will not change the contents of the clipboard on the fly like that. The feature will only work when you "physically" go to Echo, select and clip and press Enter, double-click it, etc. (see also footnote at end of this post :-)

If this is what you are already doing, could you check two things for me? First, go to Tools -> Available clipboard formats (or press Ctrl+F), and look at the list on the right:

When you use the "...as text" versions of Copy and Paste, Echo selects all the formats marked as "Yes" in that list. By default four formats are marked as being "text" as in the screenshot. Echo should display "No" in that column for all other formats. If any other formats have "Yes" next to them, select those format s and click the "Toggle text" button below.

If this looks the way it should, then please try this procedure:

1) Let Echo capture a clip that contains formatting (from Word, etc). You can check the same dialog box as above to make sure that "rich" formats are present (the list on the left this time).

2) Now copy or paste the clip as you normally would (press Enter in Echo).

3) Go back to the same dialog as before (press Ctrl+F) and check what formats Echo has just put on the clipboard. The list on the left should look like this:

In the screenshot you can see that Echo has placed only the four basic text-only formats on the clipboard (plus two internally used formats that don't actually contain any data). If there is a bug in Echo, you should see some unwanted formats here.

(the promised footnote:)You can also use the new "paste as text" hotkey feature, added in the latest release. This is a system hotkey that will paste current clipboard contents as text-only in any application, without going through Echo. It works by removing all other formats from clipboard. This hotkey is enabled by default: Shift+Wn+Insert.

Sascha:
I can live with that restriction ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version