ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for very light IM (ICQ) client

<< < (3/5) > >>

Jibz:
i'm an occasional user of Miranda IM (don't do IM much) but if you're looking for some eye-candy, you may want take a look at Digsbyw.
-lanux128 (September 02, 2011, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

The stuff listed under privacy concerns on the wikipedia page for Digsby does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about it I must admit.

lanux128:
i'm an occasional user of Miranda IM (don't do IM much) but if you're looking for some eye-candy, you may want take a look at Digsbyw.
-lanux128 (September 02, 2011, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

The stuff listed under privacy concerns on the wikipedia page for Digsby does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about it I must admit.
-Jibz (September 03, 2011, 12:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's why i linked to the wiki instead of the official site so that the OP can make an informed decision. ;)

apankrat:
Yep, Digsby is a no go. Thanks for the pointer though.

On a related note, I've been toying with an idea of writing an IM client, so I sat down and sketched a bit of a UI tonight. Just something to play with the look and feel rather than an actual window content and what not - http://drbl.in/bQID. What do you guys think? Is all this extensive skinning an overkill? Should the IM app really stick with a native appearance?

Jibz:
I haven't looked into this, but I would imagine the hard part is rather to make your client work with the proprietary protocols? Putting a good UI on top of it is a plus of course.

lanux128:
apropos of nothing, i didn't realize that AOL had sold ICQw to Mail.ru, the wiki link contains some pertinent issues regarding privacy and criticisms against the new owners. it might be worth taking note of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version