ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you organize/access tiny portable utilities?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Outertech Support:
Nosh, you don't have to enter the paths manually. Just drag & drop the files from Explorer to a folder in Linkman.

nosh:
Don't know how I missed that... I probably tried to drag and drop to one of the other panes which don't support it and gave up on the idea. This makes things a lot simpler, thanks a bunch!  :)

[I've modified my original post.]

CleverCat:
Mine all organized with the PortableApps.com Platform - works great!  :Thmbsup:

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

My master method is also Linkman. (The program is truly amazing, I always like to give Powermarks a bit of thanks for the pioneering work years back.) And I never bother with folders, e.g. I use "sn#" as a keyword for all registered software. I try to have the description sensibly alphabetized so my default view makes sense.  If I wanted something similar with installed apps, I might use a keyword like "appins". And, a trick, I put the keyword in the description field so that if I see even one of the items I will quickly remember the keyword.  

Then I use good old Listpro when I want to custom design a method of maintaining such an item as a database. Of course you could try using the user defined fields in Linkman but I really like Listpro for that type of stuff, even with its lack of tabs and printing limitations.  Maybe I will return to some of the database possibilities this week again.

My start folder is always worked top-down. "Start-Programs-Utilities-File Manager" will show Total Commander and Free Commander and xplorer2.  And I use Total Commander for quick placement of that stuff, a little trick that probably beats using a utility, once you understand where Windows hides the stuff.

And I would use Linkstash or 43Marks to call my programs from a webpage, if I could get around web security easily. I posted a thread on that issue, wondering why disk access from a web page specially designated as ok should require complex steps.  Hmmm.. probably also a localhost webpage as well.  Seems like web security of this nature (not calling a program on disk) should be designed for an easier custom override.

Thanks for the drop and drag tip. I was using navigating "Edit-new-local_file" which works well, I suggested Linkman modify the structure to make that a bit easier to find.

Shalom,
Steven

ppass:
I use this http://www.pegtop.de/start/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version