ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I found a home theater configuration expert!

<< < (3/3)

skwire:
Er, I am talking about PC playback *through* an HDTV. A good PC player is actually far more accurate and controllable as far as color, gamma, gamut, conversion bit depth, rendering methods, etc, etc. than any blu-ray player is. As long as you have it setup right and sending the signal through HDMI to a good flat panel display, you're golden.-JavaJones (September 07, 2011, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll concur with that.  Blu-Ray rips played back on my 42" HDTV plasma look phenomenal.

lotusrootstarch:
Er.. I have to respectfully disagree a bit on this but hey I just realized that standards on what actually qualify as HD experience do vary from person to person. Maybe it's just a preference/bias - a recent CNET review reckons that 60 inch is now the new minimum, while I would get distracted by the edges on any display smaller than 55 inch when visiting friends, and my mom is totally happy watching 1080p movies on a tiny 13-inch MBP.

JavaJones:
You're disagreeing on what point and on what basis? That I can process color from a raw blu-ray rip in 32 bit color space on my computer and output that to HDMI? Or that I can have precise control of the gamma and levels? Or something else? Most LCD display panels don't have the gamut to show much of a difference anyway, but at least the underlying processing capability is there and, most importantly, can be updated in pure software on the computer.

- Oshyan

lotusrootstarch:
Sorry JJ I kept thinking along the lines of "a PC must be connected to an LCD monitor". :redface: :wallbash: My bad.

I did raise a question to myself about the capability of GFX card passing through 5.1/7.1 TrueHD audio via HDMI without downmixing it to stereo. Looks like this problem can be overcome by purchasing a right model of GFX card connecting to the right TV, which will pass the audio in original lossless format via ARC link to a home theater amplifier.

P.S. Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra is pretty good for software playback.

JavaJones:
Yeah, there are plenty of Gfx card solutions that can do unaltered passthrough of digital audio. It's quite common actually.

Regarding displays, while it may not be best for movie watching, a good IPS display is actually going to give you a wider color gamut than many large flat screen LCD displays. Many large displays are not IPS and so they don't have the wide gamut.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version