ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I found a home theater configuration expert!

<< < (2/3) > >>

JavaJones:
I don't think anyone is under the illusion that cost is much of a concern for you at this point. ;) Most of what's being discussed on the merits of various approaches is how actually useful and impactful the "over-engineering" really is. The point I've been trying to make is that just because you throw expensive, high-end, high-performance hardware (or software) at a problem doesn't mean the end results will be any better, easier to use, more convenient, more secure, etc. A well engineered, elegant solution may also be low cost (or maybe not, depending on the circumstances and needs).

The video downsampling issue should only occur when playing a non-decrypted original Blu-ray disc through a non-HDCP compatible graphics card and/or display and/or software player. In your case you should already be decrypting the blu-ray disc in the ripping process so you shouldn't have any issues regardless of player. That's one of the major benefits of doing it that way.

Something to also consider, which is mentioned in the blog post above, is whether you want to make actual rips of just the main video stream (and maybe commentary tracks or whatever), or if you want to try to make full disk ISO copies of the blu-ray contents. Only in the latter case will you have a true full archive with all extras, etc. however it may maintain DRM (which could cause playback issues in the above circumstances), and ISOs are generally harder to play with normal software media players. If you have commercial blu-ray playing software you would ideally use an ISO mounter each time you wanted to watch a movie and the blu-ray software would read it as a normal disk, giving you full access to the menus, special features, etc. Personally this sounds like more hassle than its worth and the extras are of debatable value for me personally. Also you can usually rip at least some of the extras in the form of additional video files for e.g. a "making of"/"behind the scenes" video. As long as you keep all your videos in folders these are easy to organize with their parent movies.

- Oshyan

lotusrootstarch:
I'm curious because if I spend top dollar on a nice rig, I want to set everything up for maximum quality playback.  I don't want any desampling or loss in quality.
-superboyac (September 01, 2011, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what I've read above, for your holy grail of "maximum quality playback", stop thinking along the lines of "re-encoding" and "PC-based software playback". Playing back HD content on a PC is like running Windows 7 in safe mode... dissatisfaction guaranteed.

The formula for maximum fidelity playback is nice and simple:
BEST available source content + Bit-by-Bit ripoff + Professional HT-grade playback devices = Maximum satisfaction

JavaJones:
Actually quality playback from a PC is quite simple. Rip the BDs without re-encoding, play your file through a good player (KMP, LA, etc.), have a graphics card that can output HDMI with a digital audio stream in native format (or use some other digital audio format from your sound card) and set output of your audio to that digital connection type, pipe the digital audio to a good stand-alone surround amplifier and you're good. HDMI video from a non-recoded BD source will be 1:1 as good as playing from the disc.

- Oshyan

lotusrootstarch:
A few things will be missing with most PC playback solutions for now:
1. 48-bit deep color (xvYCC) playback... the vividness, accuracy, and saturation cannot be matched by True-Color displays.
2. Intelligent contrast using localized LED dimming... I don't see any LCD monitor does it.
3. Sitting on an office chair and staring at a 24-inch monitor does not give you immersive experience.

I agree with JavaJones on the digital sound part. :)

JavaJones:
Er, I am talking about PC playback *through* an HDTV. A good PC player is actually far more accurate and controllable as far as color, gamma, gamut, conversion bit depth, rendering methods, etc, etc. than any blu-ray player is. As long as you have it setup right and sending the signal through HDMI to a good flat panel display, you're golden.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version