ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: Limit Internet Bandwidth

<< < (2/2)

lotusrootstarch:
QOS or Static IP will not fix, or even alleviate your problems... they are irrelevant in this scenario. Things like BitTorrent, eMule, or even multi-threaded http downloads do not give a shit whether you have QOS or not.

"Per user/ip/mac bandwidth limit" function is what you need but it is rarely implemented on stock firmware for consumer-grade routers/gateways.

I suggest that you get a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router from somewhere like eBay and flash the stock firmware with the "Third-Party" firmware.

No offence but be warned you'll need to a little bit geeky to do the above, forget it if your son knows more about wireless routers than you do.

vinayakjoshi:
I suggest that you get a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router from somewhere like eBay and flash the stock firmware with the "Third-Party" firmware.
-lotusrootstarch (August 31, 2011, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, but I was hoping there would be a software solution. Maybe something like an autohotkey script that changes the Windows settings so that the bandwidth used is only upto a certain speed. Is that possible at all? Doesn't the Windows OS give any way to control the bandwidth at all?

lotusrootstarch:
Possible. But it'd be too easy to bypass, and too complicated to enforce/monitor. A simple system restore point might defeat all your efforts in minutes, and that probably does not even take him to ask around. :P

No point even try it that's what I'm saying.

lotusrootstarch:
Search for "tomato router" on ebay...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version