ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Flexible List (data) Management - ListPro and the Alternatives

<< < (4/7) > >>

Armando:
Thanks for chiming in Tom.

@steven
Note that there are other ways to display fields in a grid : 1- drag & drop fields from the properties pane (view-> properties, or F4 or shift+F4) to the grid column header space, 2- right click on column header space and select "add/remove columns"

johnk:
I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that InfoQube is an alternative to simple flat-file list management programs such as Listpro.

I have tried a few times to become familiar with IQ, and while I admire its power, I don't think even IQ's greatest fan would describe it as simple and intuitive in the same manner as ListPro.

I think ListPro is the best of the simple list programs, and like xtabber, I've only considered moving away from it because they show no interest in providing an Android version.

Haven't found anything yet. Checkmark now has a desktop version in beta, so maybe worth keeping an eye on.

Armando:
I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that InfoQube is an alternative to simple flat-file list management programs such as Listpro.

I have tried a few times to become familiar with IQ, and while I admire its power, I don't think even IQ's greatest fan would describe it as simple and intuitive in the same manner as ListPro.
[...]
-johnk (August 31, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, you're probably right. But Steven asked for an alternative addressing certain problems he has. That said, apart from the idea that IQ's grids display items in the database through filters, which IMO is a simple concept but not common enough, everything else can be ignored and IQ can simply be used to create simple lists (it's an outliner), and from there one can add complexity when the situation calls for it. But if one doesn't need any "expandability", then yes, IQ will feel like a bloated software. It's a bit (although not exactly) like wanting an alternative to notepad to be able to write chars on white page and getting MS Word instead.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I think ListPro is the best of the simple list programs,-johnk (August 31, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is impressive.  All my coupons, or accounts, or serial # or domains, or even things like an informal auto expense log with where the car and category is defined by you etc.  The fact is you can tweak design (e.g. add fields) while you do quick data entry in a way that I have not seen before.  A lot of the stuff like categories and key strokes are well designed. They probably won't enhance the windows version much (e.g. tabs, better printing, forum discussion) because of energy on mobile stuff.  Still, I am very impressed. And the expense, even without a discount, is a no-brainer.

Steven

steeladept:
I know you are looking for ListPro + perfect printing, but I don't think anything will work *Exactly* the same with the same ease of use.  That said, have you looked at OneNote?  EverNote?  ListPro looks to me superficially at least, to be very much like these programs.  Maybe not as full featured as they are, but definitely equally flexible.  I don't have much experience with EverNote, but I know OneNote allows a lot of these things as simple as a Notebook.  Since it is often compared with EverNote, I am guessing it is similar (and EverNote has Android support for those looking for that).  Another route a coworker goes is using a personal Wiki.  I never could get into that workflow, but it might work for you.  Just other routes to consider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version